Fish Flashing in QT, what to do?

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am currently running a fallow period in my display tank for 76 days because I had a very bad Ich outbreak in it. I'm also currently quarantining my fish (sailfin tang and melanarus wrasse) in copper. They are at day 18 and it has been at therapeutic levels every day (2.5 ppm using copper safe). All of the cysts on the tang have gone away and both fish have been eating very well the entire time. However today, the tang has been scratching itself on the bottom glass. I've read on the forums that I can set up another QT tank and move the fish into this new tank and immediately begin dosing with Prazipro. My only worry with that is that I don't want a chance to cross contaminated if the tang is scratching because of Ich and not internal parasites/flukes. Would you rather keep the fish in the copper treated QT for the full 30 days or immediately switch them into a brand new QT and begin treating with Prazipro?

Thank you for your advice

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would continue the full 30 days of copper.
You can usually use Prazipro with copper - though its probably better not to.
Certain wrasses can be sensitive to Prazipro - especially with other medications.
Sometimes tangs esp- can have skin irritation in copper - so perhaps keep that in mind.

Did you do a freshwater dip?

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would continue the full 30 days of copper.
You can usually use Prazipro with copper - though its probably better not to.
Certain wrasses can be sensitive to Prazipro - especially with other medications.
Sometimes tangs esp- can have skin irritation in copper - so perhaps keep that in mind.

Did you do a freshwater dip?
I did not do a freshwater dip, but the tang seems to be much better today. It must have just been irritated yesterday. Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back