fish for beginner 40gallon tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter psanimals
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

psanimals

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2024
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Vic
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so my tank is currently cycling (using dr tim’s) and i’m starting to think about what fish i can put in the tank. however i'm pretty lost on what’s good for that tank size as well as been a hardy beginner fish. they also need to be good with inverts as this is something i definitely want in the tank!
i would love some suggestions of what you guys think would be best!!
 
I always start with clowns, as well. Super hardy.

After success with those I try to always have a Midas blenny. It’s fun to watch the unusual eel like way they swim and perch on the rocks.

Another is a Royal Gramma. They are shy at first but later they are always out and about with their beautiful half purple half yellow coloring.
 
I always start with clownfish myself. Firefish are cool but like to jump out if you don’t have a lid.
Yea, the classic clownfish is a good beginner fish. Yellow Watchman Gobies are great as well.
I always start with clowns, as well. Super hardy.

After success with those I try to always have a Midas blenny. It’s fun to watch the unusual eel like way they swim and perch on the rocks.

Another is a Royal Gramma. They are shy at first but later they are always out and about with their beautiful half purple half yellow coloring.
Awesome thank you! are clowns compatible with most other fish? also how many fish (obviously spread out overtime) would you stock in the tank? an example of a stocking list you would do would be beyond helpful!! once again thank you!
 
Clowns are pretty compatible with other fish. They can be a bit aggressive sometimes, but I haven’t experienced issues with ocellaris or percula clowns. Now maroons are a different story!

A possible stocking list could be
2 clowns,
1 royal gramma
1 Midas blenny
Flame or Longnose Hawkfish (will eat shrimp and sometimes snails, but worth it to me)

You should get fish that appeal to you, though.
 
I have a 32 gallon biocube with
2 clowns
Banggani cardnial
Neon dottyback
Zebra dart goby
Starry blenny

These are my main fish. I have 3 others but they are babies and need to grow a little before moving to my 300 gallon.
 
My 40 has 2 clowns, a flametail blenny, tail spot blenny, yellow watchmen, hectors goby, a clingfish, and 2 anthias.
 
My 32 g Biocube has 2 clowns, diamond watchman goby, yellow coris wrasse, yellow tail damsel, tailspot blenny and a royal gramma.
 
I would add the clownfish last as they can be pretty aggressive.

I used to have a yellow coris wrasse in my last tank about the same size, loved it and it was my favourite fish. Nice to have something bright, yellow and active.

I would recommend other smaller wrasses as well like a redfin fairy wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse.

I would recommend a lid in general, no matter what fish you keep - just to be safe in my opinion.
 
I would add the clownfish last as they can be pretty aggressive.

I used to have a yellow coris wrasse in my last tank about the same size, loved it and it was my favourite fish. Nice to have something bright, yellow and active.

I would recommend other smaller wrasses as well like a redfin fairy wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse.

I would recommend a lid in general, no matter what fish you keep - just to be safe in my opinion.
These all sound awesome! thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new