Fish for Frag System - Need Ideas

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on setting up a frag system, which will have a volume of roughly 65-70 gallons. The holding tank is 48”x18”x12”, which is 45 gallons.

I plan on growing SPS corals, and possibly a couple of LPS and soft corals. With that in mind, I have been thinking about what fish that would be beneficial to stock the system with, as well as what fish the system can support.

If you have a frag system that is similar to the one that I’m in the process of putting together, then I’d love to know what you have yours stocked with and why you chose them.

Thank you!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline or melanurus wrasse for pest control
Bristletooth tang to assist with algae consumption, due to the size of the display, it is the only appropriate tang.
Mollies for additional algae support, if needed.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline or melanurus wrasse for pest control
Bristletooth tang to assist with algae consumption, due to the size of the display, it is the only appropriate tang.
Mollies for additional algae support, if needed.
I do have a Ctenochaetus tominiensis, and I was wondering if the dimensions of my tank would be large enough. I appreciate your feedback about that.

I have not used Poecilia sp. in saltwater systems, but I have watched videos and read posts and articles about transitioning them into saltwater systems. My concern is that I will have two VorTech MP40s to create intense turbulence for my SPS frags. I like the idea of using them in that system since they are live-bearers, but I worry that the resulting flow rates will be too much for them to withstand.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to add 2 fish to my 48x24x10 a Scribbled Rabbitfish and a Yellow Tang. The yellow tang is not permanent, holding it for a friend and the rabbitfish may or may not be permanent. I have some really bad macro algae that I just can't remove myself. I target feed a lot and the system is skimmerless so I'll just let these fish deal with it. I've been feeding them bits of the macro in QT so they already have a taste for it.

I prefer to run the frag system fishless. If I do end up keeping fish in there I'll probably add a couple of mollies just to function as canaries so I know the system is free of fish disease. I use the frag system as a double duty tank semi coral qt as well as frag.

If you need to keep fish any small tang / rabbit should do for algae and if need be something like a six line for other pests. My choice in the rabbit was just I was confident he would eat this macro algae and a small one was available at an affordable price. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of buying fish that will get way too big for the system but in a frag system the fish are there for a purpose and are easy to remove. I was actually going to add a small naso but he didn't make it past qt, again because I knew the naso would for sure eat this macro algae. Had he survived as soon as the pest algae was gone I'd start looking for a new home for him.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny one spot foxface in mine to control algae. When he gets too big for my frag tank i will put him in my DT though. I've thought about getting an arrow crab for my frag tank to control pests but no one ever has any for sale.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Ctenochaetus tominiensis, and I was wondering if the dimensions of my tank would be large enough. I appreciate your feedback about that.

I have not used Poecilia sp. in saltwater systems, but I have watched videos and read posts and articles about transitioning them into saltwater systems. My concern is that I will have two VorTech MP40s to create intense turbulence for my SPS frags. I like the idea of using them in that system since they are live-bearers, but I worry that the resulting flow rates will be too much for them to withstand.

Ah yeah, flow rate will be a problem. I run a pretty mild gyre in my frag tank. SPS do fine and it is just mild enough for the mollies.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny one spot foxface in mine to control algae. When he gets too big for my frag tank i will put him in my DT though. I've thought about getting an arrow crab for my frag tank to control pests but no one ever has any for sale.

Rabbitfish would be awesome for algae control.. I just have no desire to get stabbed by one while working in the frag system haha.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what kind of frag tank are we talking about here. Clean coral, a transfer tank or coral QT tank? Different fish for different roles. If your coral isn't going to be carrying pests, then a six line or halichoeres wrasse will be of little "work" benefit.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bullet shaped damsels like YellowTail Blue, peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs are my go-to. Feed the shrimp and crabs some flake food and they will take care of pests and algae as well - they are more effective than fish, IME, which sometimes you nearly have to stave to get them to work on algae.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbitfish would be awesome for algae control.. I just have no desire to get stabbed by one while working in the frag system haha.
I think about that every time I stick my hand in there! Haha he is a good fish and just runs away from me, I make sure to move slowly and give him a chance to escape and, so far at least, no issues! *knock on wood*

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72x24x8 frag tank. Along with a bristletooth tang and melanaurus wrasse I keep 5-6 Springeri damsels in mine. They are not aggressive, rumored to eat flatworms (planaria type), and add a little to the fish load to help with keeping nutrients up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back