Fish geek crossing to the dark side

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef

I'm new here, names Tim. Been keeping fish since 2000, my parents had tanks when i was a child too. Mostly freshwater, started with a Black Moore, moved to African cichlids, found new world cichlids/catfish & characins and I found my niche.

In 2007 i setup a small (10-15g) saltwater tank, very simple with just 2 damsels i ran it with very little maintenance and HOB AC filter for about 2 years before i needed to break it down.

I currently have about 10 tanks running in my house, many more sitting around. i have 3 180's and 125, several medium sized tanks like 55-120g and few smalls below 50g.

I also attempted a mixed reef in a 90g with 30 g sump for about 4 years.

I'm all about the fish. not big on coral or inverts at all. I do have a soft spot for some corals others consider pest like mushrooms, Kenya tree and my absolute favorite being GSP. I do also really enjoy euphyllia but i don't want the stress of a reef.

It's hard-to-find SW forums that focus on FOWLR, seems to always be a minor subset in each forum, which is disappointing. I bought my first 180 after seeing an adult vieja melanura. i setup my first SW tank when i saw a clown trigger and Picasso trigger in person. My ideal aquarium has at least one trigger, i also like squirrel/soldierfish, lions, groupers like polleni and miniatus & panther. damsels are great, harlequin tusk, harlequin bass, certain angels favorite being asfur, blueface and queen. I do have a freshwater moray and find the zebras very cool too. puffers are excellent too

Anyways, I'm looking to convert my 125 to SW- with predatory fish i have a hundred lbs of what was previously live rock i will eventually seed. i have a 40 breeder underneath which will likely be the sump unless i can find something like a 33L or another 4 foot option with a shorter height. I will most likely use a jaboe cross flow pump. i have all kinds of lights to choose from and 2 protein skimmers but i just don't understand how to "tune" them at all and would consider a new one if its idiot proof.

If possible i'd like to run the tank for a few months with a few pieces of GSP to let it carpet as much of the tank as possible.

whats worked?

what hasn't?

any great shops to consider?

help me, please

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
5E96C698-4B45-4921-9797-D3F42934B784.gif

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! :)
Love me some GSP, in my tank it grows slow-ish but steady on just about everything. My bet is it grows better on surfaces that have coralline algae already.
I started out wanting fish only then got distracted w/ coral :upside-down-face:
one of my faves is the harlequin tuskfish
1682194504772.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! :)
Love me some GSP, in my tank it grows slow-ish but steady on just about everything. My bet is it grows better on surfaces that have coralline algae already.
I started out wanting fish only then got distracted w/ coral :upside-down-face:
one of my faves is the harlequin tuskfish
1682194504772.png
this is my guy

1682194704242.png
1682194740155.png

OP
OP
PhishMonger84

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work out

I would say take some time researching saltwater fish lots of cool ones out there and last thing you want is to fill you tank then find your new favorite fish
Thats great advice and exactly the missteps I took on my previous 90gal setup. I wanted every coral and every fish.

i actually have a rough list i began working on that i put on another forum that seems to not have any traffic.

anyways it's a starting point, more will be added and removed.

FamilyGenusspecies
TriggersRhinecanthusassasi
Rhinecanthusaculeatus
Rhinecanthusrectangulus
Melichthysvidua
Melichthysindicus
grouperCephalopholisminiatus
Cephalopholispolleni
EelGymnomuraenazebra
TangZebrasomaflavescens
Zebrasomaxanthurum
Zebrasomadesjardini
OddballsSerranustigrinus
Neoniphonsammara
Myripristissp
AngelsPomacanthusimperator
Holacanthusciliaris
Pomacanthusannularis
Pomacanthusasfur
PufferArothronnigropunctatus
Diodonholocanthus
WrasseGomphosusvarius
Choerodonfasciatus
Thalassomahardwicke

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I think there are more FOWLRS on here than is evident from the threads. There tend to be fewer questions about a FOWLR than a reef. My favorite tank of all time was a FOWLR. I'd suggest you look at your list and pick the one or two 'must haves' on the list and then trim or add to complement them For instance, for me, if I build another FOWLR it must have a Niger Trigger.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back