Fish getting into overflow/sump/socks - HELP!!

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey all. Back in June I picked up an AquaVim 155g corner tank which has an overflow in the back center corner area. The problem I've been experiencing is that this section is fairly open and I've recently picked 2x dead fish out of filter socks. What can I do to try to better keep them out AND not restrict the flow.

IMG_0520.jpg IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0521.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Not restrict flow” is a roadblock.

Flow area thru grid of overflow must be made with smaller grid to prevent passage of fish. It’s easy to know when you restricted too much. I use window screen material made from nylon or fiberglass. When return pump sucks air, clean screen.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
“Not restrict flow” is a roadblock.

Flow area thru grid of overflow must be made with smaller grid to prevent passage of fish. It’s easy to know when you restricted too much. I use window screen material made from nylon or fiberglass. When return pump sucks air, clean screen.
So i did try doing something like this... but somehow a goby still made it past. Guess I need to figure a cover for the top as well. My big concern then is what if a fish hops on top and just dies up there. Used 2x pieces of the plastic grid that's used in my algae scrubber.

1667404135976.png

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure out a solution to this problem? I am looking for ways to cover my overflow as well. I was thinking of trying to use loofa netting? Not sure how to attach it yet or if I can drape it over and they would work.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Did you figure out a solution to this problem? I am looking for ways to cover my overflow as well. I was thinking of trying to use loofa netting? Not sure how to attach it yet or if I can drape it over and they would work.
I think so. I bought the gutter thing and cut it to size and it seems to be working awesome so far.

It cuts very easily. It's not big enough for fish or anything else to get through but it's large enough not to clog.

Plastic Mesh Gutter Guard

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. I bought the gutter thing and cut it to size and it seems to be working awesome so far.

It cuts very easily. It's not big enough for fish or anything else to get through but it's large enough not to clog.

Plastic Mesh Gutter Guard
That’s awesome! I’m glad it’s working for you and thank you for sharing what you used :)

how did you attach it to keep it in place? I was thinking of using magnets on either side of the overflow so the mesh stays in place.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That’s awesome! I’m glad it’s working for you and thank you for sharing what you used :)

how did you attach it to keep it in place? I was thinking of using magnets on either side of the overflow so the mesh stays in place.
Thankfully my overflow has a groove on the inside so I was able to just thread it into the groove.

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting the mesh gutter guard! I bought some this morning and just had to cut it to size and affix with magnets! The easiest aquarium mod to date!! I’ll post a pic when I’m home from work in case it can help someone else with the same problem.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on keeping them out of the overflow, and 3d printed a cylindrical screen that slides into my overflow pipe. Once in awhile I have to fish something out of the overflow, but at least they survive in there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back