Fish got ammonia poisoning

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the ammonia get too high in a qt tank and they all were suffering hard. I put some back in the DT and they are ok albeit breathing heavily but the diamond goby and long nose hawkfish are stationary. The goby is breathing really slow and the hawkfish is breathing somewhat fast. Is there anything I can do to help them? I put an air stone, turned off the wave maker, and lowered the return flow so they don’t get tossed around by a strong current. I’m really worried for this fish, and the DT has 0 ammonia.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is all I could do for them, are they too hurt to save?

Attachments

• 72275320687__E07605BC-A86F-4A56-95D9-A2E2831D5F22.MOV
    3.4 MB

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Aerating with the stone is a good thing. Trouble with ammonia is it burns their gills. Maybe turn your lights of as I believe that can reduce their stress and then just have to wait and see how they respond.

Are these new fish or did you have to take them out of the DT to treat something?

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aerating with the stone is a good thing. Trouble with ammonia is it burns their gills. Maybe turn your lights of as I believe that can reduce their stress and then just have to wait and see how they respond.

Are these new fish or did you have to take them out of the DT to treat something?
I took them out of DT to treat ich but my ammonia spiked so I had to take them out, I didn’t even begin treatment yet though and they were in the ammonia spiked water for about 40-1hr I believe. The hawkfish has passed as his gills were insanely red but the goby is still fighting. The clown goby swims around so I’m not sure about him.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I took them out of DT to treat ich but my ammonia spiked so I had to take them out, I didn’t even begin treatment yet though and they were in the ammonia spiked water for about 40-1hr I believe. The hawkfish has passed as his gills were insanely red but the goby is still fighting. The clown goby swims around so I’m not sure about him.
So sorry. Another option may be to dose some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). Look up humble.fish or google treating velvet with H2O2. Not for treatment, as it doesn’t work on ich I was told, but adding it to the water increases the O2 content and it breaks down into water. But there can be some issues with overdosing so find that post to be safe.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Actually I remembered I have it book marked. Here is the link.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No peroxide and do at least 30% water change and add carbon as well as increasing aeration with air stone, however often Ammonia is to blame for heavy breathing and cloudy eyes when it can be bc simply flukes or other issue
How were you testing ammonia?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use peroxide on fish if you suspect ammonia damage to the gills - that is just going to cause further damage.

The scopas tang is also breathing very fast in the video.

How high did the ammonia go and what is the tank pH? I want to rule out that the issue is actually an ammonia problem, and not a continuing disease issue. We see this issue fairly often - people start a treatment for a disease, they symptoms get worse, and the person thinks the worsening symptoms is due to part of the treatment, when actually, the issue is related to a continuation of the diseases.

Jay

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use peroxide on fish if you suspect ammonia damage to the gills - that is just going to cause further damage.

How high did the ammonia go and what is the tank pH? I want to rule out that the issue is actually an ammonia problem, and not a continuing disease issue. We see this issue fairly often - people start a treatment for a disease, they symptoms get worse, and the person thinks the worsening symptoms is due to part of the treatment, when actually, the issue is related to a continuation of the diseases.

Jay
Both badge and strip turned green so I assume it would have been 0.05ppm + and the ph is 8.4

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also my desjardini tang is lying down, is he moribund? Is there anything I can do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both badge and strip turned green so I assume it would have been 0.05ppm + and the ph is 8.4
Badge and strips are the ones I trust the least
Please don’t spend $18 on cheap tests to maintain a couple hundred of dollars of fish
But good test kits such as Hanna and salifert brands are industry bests and offer you the best results

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0.05 ppm is just at the detectable limit for most test kits, did you mean 0.5 ppm? 0.05 won't harm the fish unless they are at that level for days. The high pH does tend to make the ammonia more toxic though.

Jay

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.05 ppm is just at the detectable limit for most test kits, did you mean 0.5 ppm? 0.05 won't harm the fish unless they are at that level for days. The high pH does tend to make the ammonia more toxic though.

Jay
It probably was higher then, which was an error of my fault. Everyone else is ok besides the goby who eats and swims but breathes a bit slower than usual and doesn’t move or sift sand as he usually does.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also my desjardini tang is lying down, is he moribund? Is there anything I can do?

As I mentioned, the scopas was breathing fast in the first video, and now, this one has crashed on you. One possibility is that this is the gill parasite called Amyloodinium, or velvet. If so, you would need to treat all of the fish with a full dose of coppersafe or copper power ASAP, and you will likely lose the sailfin.

I cannot tell you 100% that this is the issue, but it seems likely....

Jay

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, the scopas was breathing fast in the first video, and now, this one has crashed on you. One possibility is that this is the gill parasite called Amyloodinium, or velvet. If so, you would need to treat all of the fish with a full dose of coppersafe or copper power ASAP, and you will likely lose the sailfin.

Jay
Got it, thank you. I’ll get them in qt once again.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
If it is velvet, all the fish would have it right? The tang has been in the system for 2 months now and as of now he is the only one breathing fast. Could it just be stress or he is recovering from any ammonia burn because I retested the water and the ammonia was quite high and my pH as I am looking at the strip (which is unfortunately the only test kit I have) is redder than what 8.4 is. Would this be why my fish got hit so hard in the uncycled qt? Also, is it ok to cycle that qt and use copper power? I am unsure of how copper power affects nitrifying bacteria. Thank you in advance for the help, I really appreciate it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet, all the fish would have it right? The tang has been in the system for 2 months now and as of now he is the only one breathing fast. Could it just be stress or he is recovering from any ammonia burn because I retested the water and the ammonia was quite high and my pH as I am looking at the strip (which is unfortunately the only test kit I have) is redder than what 8.4 is. Would this be why my fish got hit so hard in the uncycled qt? Also, is it ok to cycle that qt and use copper power? I am unsure of how copper power affects nitrifying bacteria. Thank you in advance for the help, I really appreciate it.

Well, not knowing what the actual ammonia level was makes it difficult to guess if that is the root issue or not.

If it is a disease, then copper power has little negative effect on nitrifiers - maybe knocks them back 25% or so.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back