Fish ID for new wrasse and care tip

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this new wrasse that burrows and sleep underneath sand. Anyone can please ID this and hope for care guide?
Tank mates are two clownfish and few yellow mollys.

F882864E-E7C1-4743-8268-073A155D62D4.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a juvenile Thalassoma Lunare. Juveniles bury in the sand, but as it matures it will likely sleep in the rock work. It will get big 10 - 12" and become aggressive with age. It will be capable of eating your clean up crew and will probably kill your mollies at some point.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Lunare Wrasse. My LFS has these guys in all the time... not sure why since they are far from reef safe.
Can't imagine many people have tanks big enough for these guys.

OP
OP
T

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a juvenile Thalassoma Lunare. Juveniles bury in the sand, but as it matures it will likely sleep in the rock work. It will get big 10 - 12" and become aggressive with age. It will be capable of eating your clean up crew and will probably kill your mollies at some point.
Yes you got it right. I looked closedly at it and compared on google. Thanks for this info.

OP
OP
T

Teryo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Your lighting is making harder to ID but I think it' a Halichoeres leucoxanthus
thank you!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, will also add that the genus thalassoma as a whole are more active than other commonly owned wrasses. Definitely are capable of getting 10-12 inch long if given the right tank to stay in. Will possibly kill most peaceful fish (Gobies, Mollies, Blennies ect).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
lunare will turn a pretty blue and excellent source for consuming worms and flatworms.3" sandbed is sufficient for them to burrow

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back