Fish jumped out!!

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, I woke up and went to check on my tank. It is a fluval evo 13,5 without the hood because I put a kessil a80 light so the hood doesn’t fit. I have three fish and a shrimp. Two clowns and a damsel. My first saltwater fish was a clownfish named dory. I couldn’t find her. Then I looked at the floor behind the tank.
9034d4384b91f12d166e6b01211bffb9.jpg
she had jumped out. I’m going to order some kind of hood or net today to put on top so the rest don’t jump. My water level isn’t even that high
e5eee5254dc21db2d081e6d47499ab0c.jpg

Has anyone had this happen? What about you guys without hoods or net jump guards? Is my water level too high? Dory was fine yesterday, eating and happily swimming around. I am definitely going to order a Jumpguard today

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My picasso clown jump right in front of me. Luckily it landed in the external overflow box. I've had a 1/8" net lid ever since. Your water level doesn't matter much, they can still jump out.

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just jump. My clownfish that was 16 years old found the only hole in my lid one day and was dried up under the lights when i came home.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpert surfing is fairly common. You'll want to be especially careful with gobies, wrasses, etc. I always say anything shaped like a missile is likely to jump.

Wurst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a tiger watchman goby and picasso clown to lid surfing - have a set of lids and canopy, but left one lid open. Must be like the reverse of falling through ice.

Also had an eel escape and hit carpet, but I found him curled up on the floor soon enough to pick him up and put him back in the tank.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have lots of surfers before I put 24 hr moon light. Fishes generally freak out in the dark or when the light abruptly swtches off. Slow transitions and moon light all throughout the night helps.

Ofcourse you can also invest in a cover/hood

Sam

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Angel jumped once and when I found him, I thought for sure it was dead . I remembered a thread where it said to put it back in the tank regardless. Sure enough, when I returned home from work he was in the corner alive but laying on his side. It took a few weeks, but he completely recovered. So glad I did that.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mccoskers found a way out of my cover .came in to find him laying on top motionless :( i put him back in ...he wasnt moving so i held him in front of a powerhead for almost 5 minutes before he finally swam off and hid...
Grass is not always greener on the other side....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss. He looks really nice.

Some fish are know for jumping, other just do for some reason. A lot of people run screen or mesh tops. There are kits or dyi from Home Depot. I have also seen egg crate.

Again. Sorry.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Angel jumped once and when I found him, I thought for sure it was dead . I remembered a thread where it said to put it back in the tank regardless. Sure enough, when I returned home from work he was in the corner alive but laying on his side. It took a few weeks, but he completely recovered. So glad I did that.
My mccoskers found a way out of my cover .came in to find him laying on top motionless :( i put him back in ...he wasnt moving so i held him in front of a powerhead for almost 5 minutes before he finally swam off and hid...
Grass is not always greener on the other side....:rolleyes::rolleyes:
wish I did that. however, don't think it would have made a difference, dory was already dry and probably was there for an hour at least. she is now buried in my backyard. RIP dory :(

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya no recovering from dried out. Ive also lost 2 helfrichi firefish that i didnt find in time....they find the smallest crack.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to most of us at some point. I had a diamond watchman jump in front of me that we saved. Even with a lid I had another diamond watchman who slipped through a small crack and dried up :(

It is one of the unfortunate parts of the hobby, the best thing you can do is mitigate your risk with a lid.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs covers his tanks every night, a few months ago he forgot to cover the tank that had his maroon clown and she jumped. He had her since he opened his store 31 years ago. I had 2 gobies jump right through an egg crate cover I had, I now use a net cover and haven't had any more jumpers since. I have heard a few fish hit the net though

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya no recovering from dried out. Ive also lost 2 helfrichi firefish that i didnt find in time....they find the smallest crack.

Thanks everyone. I ordered a Jumpguard net thing and plan on using it as soon as I get it. Really want to get a new clown for my other one cuz I think it will be lonely. Think I, going to get a designer clown so it looks nothing like dory

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Clearview Lids. They look really good on a rimless tank. Since I’ve put one on the carpet surfing is no longer an issue.

Back