Fish just dropped dead

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I had a scarlet pinstripe wrasse and he was eating a ton and he slept in a mucus cacoon line he was supposed to. And I woke up this morning and he was dead. So of the other fish in the tank are fine and the water is fine. Dora anyone have an idea on what could have happened? Any response appreciated.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. There is a lot that can happen to a small creature that we have no control of despite best husbandry. Stress and aggression maintains a biggie. More concerning is if there are concerns towards the rest of the tank gang. Usually, if no recent additions one does not believe in infectious problems, though I like to FW dip the body for flukes. Happy to learn your parameters are good. Still would check the usual: concerns of toxin introduction inclusive dinos and fumes. Stray voltage. Oxygen deprivation. I hope all will be well.

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no aggression it was the most aggressive fish in the tank only because it chased a shrimp once. Would you mind telling me how to check for those things you just listed I am new to saltwater.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly want to start at the beginning. When was the last time a non quarantained water was introduced. Ick is so common nowadays. Velvet gets more and flukes can slowly kill the tank inhabitants. It’s unlikely however if the last is more than 45 days. And for flukes, if one puts the body in rodi water, flukes become visible. Look at your othe fish for behaviour ,fins and respiratory rate.
One you ruled this out, think back for candles, air freshener, lost objects in the tank. Internal toxins- is there a problem with bacterial films, cyanobacter, Dinoflaggelates? Oxygen introduction working well? Specifically if recent treatment with antibiotics? More practically is the skimmer doing well? For stray voltage I would just buy a grounding probe. If you can’t come up with anything, that’s rather good. Least it does not affect the health of the tank mates.

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing and funds are fine last time I added something to the tank non quarantined was just over a week ago but I can’t see anything on any of my fish or that one. They are all acting normal so it wolf have to be something that doesn’t show up.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. 1 week new is always worrisome. Keep on paying close attention. Watch out for ick spots, increased respiratory rate in velvet and read up on flukes. Hope it’s none of those.

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much I did not expect to learn this much. I do really trust the place I got the coral from and they take amazing care but I guess it is more about where they got their stuff from. I will update this thread if anything happens so just hope this thread never mates it past this. Thank you.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got velvet with a frag out of a display containing a 5000$ fish once. Was a wipeout for me and I learned later about the wipeout there....

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got velvet with a frag out of a display containing a 5000$ fish once. Was a wipeout for me and I learned later about the wipeout there....
Oh I’m sorry to hear that. Do if I don’t see anything with any of my other fish do you think it was stress? It could have been old age to because I don’t know how old the fish was when I got it.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly certain that I lost a Pyramid in QT as a result of stress/ trauma due to flight injury in a pitch dark tank and also fairly certain of a clownfish suffering a fatal stroke. One may never know for sure. The clown was young.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been said sometimes it just happens. I've had a fish die for no apparent reason and on the other side I've had a clown commit suicide by just M ping out of the tank. When I walked him to the trashcan he flipped his tail so I threw him back in the water. He swims kinda wonky now but he's been alive for over a year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back