Fish kee dying

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, any water issue I would guess would hurt the coral first right? But you may be on to something.
its the only thing that really makes sense to me, other than disease. take it for what its worth, but there havent been any pictures that jump out to say "oh ya, thats disease 100%". so far, its all just been speculation, and possible of course, but the only thing that i would imagine that would kill that fast, would be quite noticeable by anyone here via picture, or by the owner themself. that doesnt seem to be the case, but i still dont rule it out.
the water parameters, of course look fine, and i would suspect corals to be more delicate than most fish to react. but again, its such a new tank that it doesnt surprise me if the anemone isnt happy anyway, so its a toss in the air as to whats causing that. on the other hand, most of the other corals can live pretty easily, without showing signs of problems, minus the couple LPS in there. the LPS dont seem to be having problems, but they are also not really extending a ton, other than that torch.

at this point, im at a loss. there is just too much at such an early stage to give me any thoughts other than just guessing and throwing darts at the wall to see which one sticks

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread despairs me
Putting things like dragonets in a 2 month old tank with little-rock alone is just so ill-informed.If a store is selling you these animals without knowing your system they are irresponsible and you should find a local hobbyist to give advice.

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread despairs me
Putting things like dragonets in a 2 month old tank with little-rock alone is just so ill-informed.If a store is selling you these animals without knowing your system they are irresponsible and you should find a local hobbyist to give advice.
I agree they seen my set up and have been feeding me a lot of lies,do u recommend I add more rocks?

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they seen my set up and have been feeding me a lot of lies,do u recommend I add more rocks?
The amount of rock....or other media needs to be enough to handle the bioload you put in the tank. So, no fish/v little ammonia to cycle means it may not be fully cycled.or is cycling a tiny amount.. that depends how you cycled.you didnt use fish we know that.
If you add bioload it will possibly in a new tank have another cycle or mini cycle until it catches up.. If there's enough rock/media to do so.(actually not the rock or media at all, it just hosts the bacteria you need)
These mini cycles can be tough, any instability is tough and cycling is one of the most unstable.

So it isnt the amount of rock, its building up its biodiversity of bacteria that counts. Id suspect this tank isnt properly cycled. It CAN take a year.

Asfor dragonets,notoriously difficult to keep alive.any stress will kill them often. They do need lots of rock to hide amongst small dark spaces and generally mature tanks 2 years old saywith lotsofbiodiversity. A beautiful fish,oneof myfavs. I dont yet put one in my18 month coraline covered tank

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets just say that its probably going to be best, at this time, to hold off on any fish for at least a month to see what happens with what you do have. also, at this juncture, i wouldnt even think about doing a mandarin until youve had some time under your belt, within this hobby. they are on the more advanced side of fish keeping, and to be honest, youre just not there yet. its a fish that requires a lot of attention, and time, just for itself, and were at a point in this thread where we just need to keep basic fish alive, and find out what the issue is.

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of rock....or other media needs to be enough to handle the bioload you put in the tank. So, no fish/v little ammonia to cycle means it may not be fully cycled.or is cycling a tiny amount.. that depends how you cycled.you didnt use fish we know that.
If you add bioload it will possibly in a new tank have another cycle or mini cycle until it catches up.. If there's enough rock/media to do so.(actually not the rock or media at all, it just hosts the bacteria you need)
These mini cycles can be tough, any instability is tough and cycling is one of the most unstable.

So it isnt the amount of rock, its building up its biodiversity of bacteria that counts. Id suspect this tank isnt properly cycled. It CAN take a year.

Asfor dragonets,notoriously difficult to keep alive.any stress will kill them often. They do need lots of rock to hide amongst small dark spaces and generally mature tanks 2 years old saywith lotsofbiodiversity. A beautiful fish,oneof myfavs. I dont yet put one in my18 month coraline covered tank
Thank u for taking time to talk to me

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets just say that its probably going to be best, at this time, to hold off on any fish for at least a month to see what happens with what you do have. also, at this juncture, i wouldnt even think about doing a mandarin until youve had some time under your belt, within this hobby. they are on the more advanced side of fish keeping, and to be honest, youre just not there yet. its a fish that requires a lot of attention, and time, just for itself, and were at a point in this thread where we just need to keep basic fish alive, and find out what the issue is.
Agreed thank.u

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum - sorry it isn’t on the best circumstances.
Anything consistent behavior or appearance wise before death?
Were new fish quarantined?
Tank size?
My best initial guess is disease - it’s very common in marine fish and quarantining new fish is the best way to avoid it. Firefish are very disease hardy so it’s not surprising it outlasted all other fish - but it’s not immune.
What kind of starfish? Just curious as most do poorly in captivity, especially in newer tanks - so I’m honestly surprised it outlived the other fish (unless it’s an asterina or brittle).
Yellow tang lived for about week and half fish was eating everyday checked the fish this morning b4 I left out was good came home half hr ago fish dead no signs of disease, I just checked water param everything good, have no clue why he died , I got him from a friend,longer tank but not as many gallons, fish had more swimming room in other tank, could that play apart, other 3 fish I got from them are doing well so far

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank can cause problems but wouldn’t be the direct killer unless it swam into a wall too hard - but given the history of the tank I don’t think it was that.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Christmas wrasse lawnmower blend yellow goby I got same time as tang, fire goby starfish I had since I started tank
if any fish die, do not buy any more. what dave was hinting at with that is, if it is worst case scenario with a bad disease in the tank, the 76 days is a fallow period. dont add any fish. this will allow whatever disease it is, if there is one, to die because it has nothing keeping it alive. we hope it doesnt happen, but at this point, im expecting the worst, and to avoid just a money pit, and heartache, if all fish die, let the tank go fishless for the 76 days, and then go from there. once you put fish back in, go slow. i would say 1 at a time, but no more than 2 at a time.

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if any fish die, do not buy any more. what dave was hinting at with that is, if it is worst case scenario with a bad disease in the tank, the 76 days is a fallow period. dont add any fish. this will allow whatever disease it is, if there is one, to die because it has nothing keeping it alive. we hope it doesnt happen, but at this point, im expecting the worst, and to avoid just a money pit, and heartache, if all fish die, let the tank go fishless for the 76 days, and then go from there. once you put fish back in, go slow. i would say 1 at a time, but no more than 2 at a time.
Yes that’s definitely the plan the fire goby I had since day 1 and he still living

OP
OP
J

Joseqb77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was probably just pooping, which corals regularly do and isn’t a problem.
Thanks what do I do if all my fish die except that one fire goby, he’s been there since day 1,I know u said 76 day furlong of no fish so disease will go away but that fish won’t die

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks what do I do if all my fish die except that one fire goby, he’s been there since day 1,I know u said 76 day furlong of no fish so disease will go away but that fish won’t die
put him in a tank and QT you would have to medicate him/her but as you don't know whats happening its hard imo i would rehome the goby wait 76 days and start again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back