Fish keep dying but parameters are normal

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Feeling discouraged and looking for some help. I started with my 10g tank around January. I’m a complete novice. It cycled before I added a yellow guardian gobie and a clownfish. After about 1 weeks, the clownfish got lethargic, stopped eating, laid in the sand and died. Admittedly, my ammonia may have been a little higher than zero then but not crazy. The guardian gobie was unphased. Then I got a royal gramma baslet and a few hermit crabs and snails. All was well for 2-3 weeks and then he got lethargic, stopped eating, started swimming in circles and laid in the sand and died. My ammonia and nitrites never spiked. (The crabs are kind of jerks and ate most of my snails, but other than that living nightmare, all seemed fine). A few weeks later I got a pair of banggai cardinals. One died almost immediately. Fine. The other lived for 2-3 weeks and was really doing great until it got lethargic and stopped eating 2 days ago, started swimming in circles and is now gasping on the sandbed. The guardian gobie is thriving. The crabs are living their best life. The remaining snails are probably living in constant fear that they’re about to be eaten alive but otherwise seem healthy. Why can’t I keep my fish alive?!?

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g tank can't add more than 1 thing at a time. That is not a lot of volume for the increased bioload. Almost definitely is ammonia. Try to go real slow like 1 fish every 4-6 weeks. Or fish for 4 weeks then CUC. Bacteria that eat ammonia need time to ramp up to increased demands.

CoralCandyAqua

The Candy Man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Feeling discouraged and looking for some help. I started with my 10g tank around January. I’m a complete novice. It cycled before I added a yellow guardian gobie and a clownfish. After about 1 weeks, the clownfish got lethargic, stopped eating, laid in the sand and died. Admittedly, my ammonia may have been a little higher than zero then but not crazy. The guardian gobie was unphased. Then I got a royal gramma baslet and a few hermit crabs and snails. All was well for 2-3 weeks and then he got lethargic, stopped eating, started swimming in circles and laid in the sand and died. My ammonia and nitrites never spiked. (The crabs are kind of jerks and ate most of my snails, but other than that living nightmare, all seemed fine). A few weeks later I got a pair of banggai cardinals. One died almost immediately. Fine. The other lived for 2-3 weeks and was really doing great until it got lethargic and stopped eating 2 days ago, started swimming in circles and is now gasping on the sandbed. The guardian gobie is thriving. The crabs are living their best life. The remaining snails are probably living in constant fear that they’re about to be eaten alive but otherwise seem healthy. Why can’t I keep my fish alive?!?
Are you using tap water or RODI?

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g tank can't add more than 1 thing at a time. That is not a lot of volume for the increased bioload. Almost definitely is ammonia. Try to go real slow like 1 fish every 4-6 weeks. Or fish for 4 weeks then CUC. Bacteria that eat ammonia need time to ramp up to increased demands.
Thanks so much for answering. So even if I’m not getting any ammonia readings when I test it could still be ammonia?

CoralCandyAqua

The Candy Man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any hang on back skimmer?
I would try abdicate some microbacter 7 to your water every few days you may have a bacteria imbalance. I have very established tanks and continously dose on a weekly after water changes. Thats what works for me in keeping a good bio load with eshopps biolux bricks! Hope this helps, just my experience!

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try abdicate some microbacter 7 to your water every few days you may have a bacteria imbalance. I have very established tanks and continously dose on a weekly after water changes. Thats what works for me in keeping a good bio load with eshopps biolux bricks! Hope this helps, just my experience!
Thank you. I’ll give it a try!

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for answering. So even if I’m not getting any ammonia readings when I test it could still be ammonia?
I would definitely say when a fish acts confused in the tank like you described that is called encephalopathy. Ammonia creates this condition in the brain and is followed by death for fish. The other comment of ensuring adequate oxygenation is good too as increased fish increases oxygen requirements. But usually more lethargy w low O2 than acting like a drunk fish (Ammonia) which is why I think ammonia most likely. Also I didn't add 2 fish at once into my 100g tank until a year in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
parameters- What test kits are you using and what numbers are your readings ?

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I am already adding a capful of fritzyme 9 every day. I forgot to mention that.

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say when a fish acts confused in the tank like you described that is called encephalopathy. Ammonia creates this condition in the brain and is followed by death for fish. The other comment of ensuring adequate oxygenation is good too as increased fish increases oxygen requirements. But usually more lethargy w low O2 than acting like a drunk fish (Ammonia) which is why I think ammonia most likely. Also I didn't add 2 fish at once into my 100g tank until a year in.
That’s great advice. Thank you. I did a partial water change yesterday and just now added some ammo lock to be safe which I guess I’ll use every other day for 7 days like the bottle suggests. What do you suggest for next steps? Right now I have the gobie, 4 crabs, 2 nassirius snails and one brisstle worm that hitchhiked in on an empty crab shell. I would like to get more snails that climb the glass to keep it clean (mine old ones got eaten). Add a skimmer? Keep dosing with bacteria? Ok to add snails? How do I know when I can add another fish? Or coral?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
API
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Seachem hanging ammonia tag = safe (<0.02ppm)
Both the API kits and seachem badge are notorious for false readings and may be the issue, why I asked.
{Please}- Take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits and have them test water for you and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
Yours are likely higher without your knowledge.
Hanna (also user friendly) and Salifert are reliable kits

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the API kits and seachem badge are notorious for false readings and may be the issue, why I asked.
{Please}- Take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits and have them test water for you and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
Yours are likely higher without your knowledge.
Hanna (also user friendly) and Salifert are reliable kits
Thank you! I had no idea. I will do so and get more reliable kits

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great advice. Thank you. I did a partial water change yesterday and just now added some ammo lock to be safe which I guess I’ll use every other day for 7 days like the bottle suggests. What do you suggest for next steps? Right now I have the gobie, 4 crabs, 2 nassirius snails and one brisstle worm that hitchhiked in on an empty crab shell. I would like to get more snails that climb the glass to keep it clean (mine old ones got eaten). Add a skimmer? Keep dosing with bacteria? Ok to add snails? How do I know when I can add another fish? Or coral?
1st....slow down. Trust me and everyone on here when we tell you go slow w fish tanks....especially small ones that don't dilute the pollution as much. 2nd....I would wait to add anything new until you know what is going on. Adding more life means adding more bioload which means more ammonia etc. It takes a few weeks to stabilize ammonia after adding anything to a tank. I would wait 4 weeks, get parameters all in check, have proper filtration/etc set up and then add either a fish or a few more snails and go from there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would this tank have ammonia if it cycled in Jan? Something seems off. It would certainly be cycled by now... has a goby and CUC in it since then even. The API kit will often say 0.25 even if it is 0.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back