OP
J

jordan5522

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if it works then you probably isolated your source of difficulty.
Some folks get an acclimation box, I would put the clown in that and the new fish in the tank.
Some people put naughty fish in their sump. If it's safe to do so, while the new fish lives in the tank with the aggressor in the sump you could eliminate aggression as a variable. Again, this is only a guess. I have not seen your fish, the tank, etc so I clearly don't have all the info. Others are leaning towards disease, I think its stress/aggression possibly.
Ok I can try that out tomorrow. I’ll put the clown in an acclimation box and release the new fish so that he can get adjusted and if that doesn’t work then I’ll treat the tank to see.

OP
OP
J

jordan5522

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I'm a newbie also. I would think the bacterial filter would compensate in that case and there wouldn't be an ammonia spike. Again, if you have the space and the funds available. I will always say quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. Then you know if they make it through that it's something in your tank killing them. Again, I am a BIG believer in prophylactic treatment.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking maybe get a quarantine tank and treat the fish or treat the clown fish and let the tank has time off to maybe kill whatever is inside of it

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking maybe get a quarantine tank and treat the fish or treat the clown fish and let the tank has time off to maybe kill whatever is inside of it
I wonder what the salinity of your system is and then the salinity of the fish store that the fish are coming from?

OP
OP
J

jordan5522

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the salinity of your system is and then the salinity of the fish store that the fish are coming from?
For my tank I keep the salinity at 1.025-1.026. The store salinity I’m not sure but Ik none of them are hyposalinity. I’ve only bought one fish that was hypo. But I acclimate any new fish for At least an hour to an hour and half drip method.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would u recommend putting the clown in a separate tank until the display has time down. But would it hurt for the coral to stay in it or no?
Yes, don't put any fish in your DT for 76 days. Coral and inverts are fine there. You said you have had 12 fish die in the tank over the year so obviously there is a disease in your tank or your parameters are way off. You need to take a step back and determine why fish keep dying in your tank.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my tank I keep the salinity at 1.025-1.026. The store salinity I’m not sure but Ik none of them are hyposalinity. I’ve only bought one fish that was hypo. But I acclimate any new fish for At least an hour to an hour and half drip method.
Well a lot of fish stores keep there tanks at 1.018 to save money on salt. If this is the case to go from 1.018 to 1.026 in 1 hour is very unhealthy for the fish. This is a lot of the time why qt is also recommended so this process can be done over days causing less harm to the fish.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s almost 0 chance that this is an acclimation issue being 12 fish have died. 1or 2 dying from acclimation sure not all 12. You have a parasite. Fallow is your only option. The fact that you have cuc living means it’s not parameters. Clowns are aggressive however can’t imagine it killing 12 fish either especially in a 40g.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbichler

David C

well done steering this thread back to the most likely % cause here, based on logged thread patterns. the resistance to factor fish disease in cycling threads is causing literal obliteration of ten year's advancement in cycling science/am noticing.

all fish losses are marked to broken cycles/not disease/trending in the chem forum last few weeks.

there is a marked trend nowadays to completely buck any preps whatsoever regarding fish disease. soon the hobbyists will be forced to apply controls, the loss rates will become astounding and the price may become that way as well; simply refusing to comply may not work much longer for the hobby as a whole. we need like 4+ extra disease assessment helpers on the board just to handle today's influx much less next year's new help posts, from myriad tanks we just cycled today.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because cycling is so easy, so no-prep and certain to complete right out of the bottle, thousands upon thousands of new tanks are coming in 2023/biggest deluge ever/ and the disease prep resistance in the hobby is about 98% resistant as of today... even during troubleshoots involving patterned fish loss...this is an assessment of the crowd not the OP across lots of different fish loss analysis posts.

disease is the last thing anyone will accept as a causative (I think due to the work they see required in preps)

I'm sensing a big tide of not listening, about to crash down in '23 regarding disease loss in our fish from pet stores.

we're going to need them fallows and qt's.

OP
OP
J

jordan5522

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s almost 0 chance that this is an acclimation issue being 12 fish have died. 1or 2 dying from acclimation sure not all 12. You have a parasite. Fallow is your only option. The fact that you have cuc living means it’s not parameters. Clowns are aggressive however can’t imagine it killing 12 fish either especially in a 40g.
Ok that’s what I’m going to do. Im gonna go get a qt tank today and take out the clown and go fallow for the dt. Any recommendations on going fallow? Like is it ok to keep feeding the corals with phytopheast and as well do I need to put anything in the tank for the dt to help try to clean it or just let it be?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s what I’m going to do. Im gonna go get a qt tank today and take out the clown and go fallow for the dt. Any recommendations on going fallow? Like is it ok to keep feeding the corals with phytopheast and as well do I need to put anything in the tank for the dt to help try to clean it or just let it be?
You can feed corals and keep lights going. Inverts may need food too. Just keep track of parameters like normal. Nitrates may decline because no fish so you may need to ghost feed or dose neonitro. A lot of us have had to fallow. It's no big deal.

Back