Fish lethargic after antibiotics

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm treating a group of 3 sunburst anthias with antibiotics, Kanaplex + Furan 2 + Metroplex. I added the third round of medicine last night. Today one of the anthias is not swimming much, staying under the PVC for the most part. What should I do now? I suppose to add the last dose of Furan 2 today. But should I still do that, or should I pull that fish out to a clean tank with no medication?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a specific issue you were trying to treat? Could one or the other anthias be intimidating it? To be honest, I've never kept more than one of these at a time, I always thought they were less of a schooling species, more solitary.

One general caution about antibiotics - they take longer to take affect than many people suspect. This can lead to "hunting and pecking", where you try one thing, then another, then pull the meds, etc. "Stay the course" is pretty important with antibiotics - 5 to 7 days before things start to turn around is par for the course. As long as you are following the label instructions, I would leave it be for now.

jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back