Fish injury getting worse

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a small orange storm in a acrylic container and it suffered an injury. Now it seems infected and growing. What treatment recommendation could you have? The fish is eating without problem.

I tried since today a combination of kanaplex metroplex and focus to see if it gets better. When should I see an improvement?

Here is a Pic for reference.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20240227_153826.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I have a small orange storm in a acrylic container and it suffered an injury. Now it seems infected and growing. What treatment recommendation could you have? The fish is eating without problem.

I tried since today a combination of kanaplex metroplex and focus to see if it gets better. When should I see an improvement?

Here is a Pic for reference.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20240227_153826.jpg
This pic is a big disadvantage as it is impossible to see fish and focal point is massive amount of coralline. i would Not mix all three medications as focus is a binder for med and metro Must be used precisely at .5gm bt weight which is a tiny amount and makes food taste bitter. Kanaplex often takes 2-3 days to begin taking effect but question is as to the type of injury and state of injury which cannot be seen.
Is fish eating at all and breathing normal or rapid?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not mix kanamycin and metronidazole unless absolutely needed. The picture is not very helpful unfortunately (as already pointed out by @vetteguy53081

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Thanks for the help. Here are some clear pictures. I hope it helps.

I moved the fish to the sump. The acrylic container was not the best place given the injury
IMG_20240228_160719.jpg
IMG_20240228_160712.jpg
IMG_20240228_160718.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will leave this to @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal since not online for a bit - it looks like severe inflammation / infection - after an injury. Don't know the timing of the lesion - but thats important to the history

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone. Thanks for the help. Here are some clear pictures. I hope it helps.

I moved the fish to the sump. The acrylic container was not the best place given the injury
IMG_20240228_160719.jpg
IMG_20240228_160712.jpg
IMG_20240228_160718.jpg
This looks to be Heavy bacterial with gross deformity and will be a challenge to overcome. This obviously did not develop overnight. Prior to this infection, was there any notable injury or damage to mouth?
The concern I have is the fish not being able to eat for some time IF it heals. Best Medication in a separate treatment tank is seachem Tri-Sulfa. If none, Seachem Kanaplex but although treatment is mentioned, outcome will be a gamble

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20240228_160719.jpg
IMG_20240228_160712.jpg
IMG_20240228_160718.jpg
Without a microscope you can’t tell for certain, but the brownish color could be that it is a rare fungal infection.
My fear is that the lesion seems really deep seated and it is located very near the brain.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply I was doing heavy maintenance to the aquarium.
Sadly Tri-Sulfa is not available where I live. So far metroplex and kanaplex is what Im using, the fish is still eating but not as much, I suppose the bitterness of the medicine gets him.

About the lesion, the guy is a professional escapist, he always managed to get out of the plexi box, and the big clowns went after him. I suppose that's where he got the lesion. The plexi box is full of what appears to be cyano, pretty normal everytime I put the damm thing in the tank... but now cyaon in the main. Which is weird...

Question. Can I try iodine on the lesion to heal it )I know its an antiseptic and could help) ? or any kind of powder of it to help it heal? Sadly if the fish stops eating or wont get enough food it will become weaker everytime...

Thanks in advance !

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply I was doing heavy maintenance to the aquarium.
Sadly Tri-Sulfa is not available where I live. So far metroplex and kanaplex is what Im using, the fish is still eating but not as much, I suppose the bitterness of the medicine gets him.

About the lesion, the guy is a professional escapist, he always managed to get out of the plexi box, and the big clowns went after him. I suppose that's where he got the lesion. The plexi box is full of what appears to be cyano, pretty normal everytime I put the damm thing in the tank... but now cyaon in the main. Which is weird...

Question. Can I try iodine on the lesion to heal it )I know its an antiseptic and could help) ? or any kind of powder of it to help it heal? Sadly if the fish stops eating or wont get enough food it will become weaker everytime...

Thanks in advance !

Are you adding metroplex and kanaplex to the food? Don't do that! Metronidazole is very bitter and will cause most fish to stop eating food dosed with it. Kanamycin is toxic at the wrong dose, and if you are just adding it to food, you don't know the dose. Finally, oral medications have little affect on external infections. Metronidazole has no real benefit against aerobic bacteria, so Kanamycin in the water would be the better way to treat a bacterial infection.

Iodine is pretty toxic, I'd worry about using it so close to a fish's eyes and gills. A formalin dip would be something to try if these is the fungal disease that I suspect that it is, but formalin is difficult to source and toxic to use in a home.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin here is a no go sadly. I don't know y what else to do... Doing a QT could be a solution but I don't have a spare aquarium or media to do it. I would prefer a more direct way to deal with it...

Iodine it's way to strong but seeing the kind of lesion I don't know if it's an alternative.

What other solution could I try?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin here is a no go sadly. I don't know y what else to do... Doing a QT could be a solution but I don't have a spare aquarium or media to do it. I would prefer a more direct way to deal with it...

Iodine it's way to strong but seeing the kind of lesion I don't know if it's an alternative.

What other solution could I try?
If you have iodine / povidone that does not have soap in it (so not surgical scrub) you can try that, but hold the fish head down as you apply it to keep it from running back into its gills.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back