EMERGENCY- Tang Upside down + Infection

Chris’s fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My orange shoulder tang had a bacterial infection and got worse. I just moved him to a quarantine tank and now hes upside down and breathing rapidly. I added an extra airstone and covered the tank with a towel. I added metroplex, kanaplex, and Furan-2. Is there anything else I can do? I know hes probably not going to make it but I want to do everything possible.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 6.46.57 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,

My orange shoulder tang had a bacterial infection and got worse. I just moved him to a quarantine tank and now hes upside down and breathing rapidly. I added an extra airstone and covered the tank with a towel. I added metroplex, kanaplex, and Furan-2. Is there anything else I can do? I know hes probably not going to make it but I want to do everything possible.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 6.46.57 PM.png
Unfortunately fish is Moribund and will not likely eat or swim normal in this condition. Could have stemmed from injury, collision, or other condition. In the last 24 hrs, have you noticed anything unusual such as heavy breathing, listlessness, etc?

OP
OP
Chris’s fish

Chris’s fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately fish is Moribund and will not likely eat or swim normal in this condition. Could have stemmed from injury, collision, or other condition. In the last 24 hrs, have you noticed anything unusual such as heavy breathing, listlessness, etc?
No not really. He was lethargic and not swimming much before I caught him, but he just got really bad. It's possible he hit the rock when I was trying to catch him or something.

I assumed he was probably going to die. Is there anything I can do for him or should I just let him go overnight?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assuming the water you put him in is ok. Agree it looks like a poor prognosis. I would not add more antibiotics - continue the airstone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No not really. He was lethargic and not swimming much before I caught him, but he just got really bad. It's possible he hit the rock when I was trying to catch him or something.

I assumed he was probably going to die. Is there anything I can do for him or should I just let him go overnight?
Yes as they startle easily, even from their own reflection. Sorry to see

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well thank you for the help. I'll do my best and keep you updated.
If not done already, you can add air stone for added oxygen but merely a gamble

OP
OP
Chris’s fish

Chris’s fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after about an hour in quarantine with medication he appears to have propped himself up against the sponge filter. Breathing rate slightly decreased by still high. Added hang on back filter and extra air. Hopefully he can pull through till the morning

IMG_3480.JPEG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after about an hour in quarantine with medication he appears to have propped himself up against the sponge filter. Breathing rate slightly decreased by still high. Added hang on back filter and extra air. Hopefully he can pull through till the morning

IMG_3480.JPEG

The fish looks near the point of respiratory collapse, I hope it made it overnight...

I can see inside its gills in the video, they are white, not dark red like they should be. That points to anemia. That in turn can be caused by diseases, but not from hitting something in the tank.

In terms of damage control - was it in with any other fish? How are they looking?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back