Fish Life Expectancy

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase a zoster, two Regal angels and whitetail bristletooth tang over 5 years ago. All still going strong. Pair of clowns still here are 13. I have had mandarins 10 years. I have my clowns in my will.
IMG_0552.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on wrasses and the consensus was that many species tend to live right around 7 years. I did see this almost exactly with 3 different species (ruby head, melanurus, solar) as each died within 6 months of the others and I had each of them for around 6 years. So I made sure to buy very small juveniles on my last purchases.

I did have a pink spotted watchman goby for 17 years... assuming it was well over 1 year old when I got it. Pretty good life span. It's the longest lived pet I've ever owned.

Currently I have several fish that are over 10 years old: foxface, blue chromis, Talbott's damsel, Caribbean spotted hawkfish. Have a few tangs that are getting close to that mark too.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and two clownfish that I got back in 1998. Unfortunately I am stuck out of my home state and my neighbor…well let’s just say I no longer have any of my fish now. So in my care at least I had them for 25 years.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on wrasses and the consensus was that many species tend to live right around 7 years. I did see this almost exactly with 3 different species (ruby head, melanurus, solar) as each died within 6 months of the others and I had each of them for around 6 years. So I made sure to buy very small juveniles on my last purchases.

I did have a pink spotted watchman goby for 17 years... assuming it was well over 1 year old when I got it. Pretty good life span. It's the longest lived pet I've ever owned.

Currently I have several fish that are over 10 years old: foxface, blue chromis, Talbott's damsel, Caribbean spotted hawkfish. Have a few tangs that are getting close to that mark too.
Some great info

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal Gramma is 9.7 years old. I'm told this is geriatric for a RG.
I think @Paul B has some real old fish.
Woah, that age for a Royal Gramma is amazing IMO. Way to go!

I have been in the hobby for 17+ years and I’m on my 3rd RG. My two previous ones died between 4-5 years. I was convinced from some crude searches plus my experience that they maxed out at about 5 years, but my current one is 5 years, 2 months and counting… and I’m thrilled!

I also have a pair of cinnamon clowns that are 17 years, 3 months.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the longest lived small fish people don't talk about as much:

Clown gobies are known for regularly living 10+ years in situations where they won't be preyed upon.

Watchman gobies can also live 10+ years. My oldest fish is ~7 year old yellow watchman goby.

Dwarf angels can reach 15+ regularly.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiny lobster
I have a royal gramma, pajama cardinalfish, and ocellaris clownfish that I’ve had for 9 years. Started them out in a 29gal and they’ve been in a 75gal for several years now.
Did you have a spiny lobster that lived a long time?

Interesting to hear about the Cardinals living so long for such a small fish. Then again they do not seem especially active so likely have a low metabolism.
I've had quite a few fish live over 10 years. My oldest critter is a Pencil Urchin which is around 20 years old.
Always interested to hear about the smallish inverts. You wouldn't think they would live very long, but I also keep Arachnids as a side hobby and many of them can live 20-30 years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Fireclown tending her eggs is about 33 and her mate is a few years younger.

These guys normally live for about 10 years, but I know some people kept them longer

Copperbands also live over 10 years but for some reason some of mine get a neurological condition after that.

Bangai Cardinals have the shortest lifespan of about 3 or 4 years

I usually have bluestripe pipefish and they live and spawn for about 6 years.

This Janss Pipefish lived for 7 years.

One of my Possum Wrasses is over 7 years, maybe 10

I kept these spawning watchmans for I think 12 years.

My Mandarins live and keep spawning for 10 years.

This urchin just died after about 12 years, (could be 10)

This pair of hermit crabs also lived about 10 years.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow tail damsels(I know I know haha), that are almost 14yrs old, couldn’t ever find myself to rehome them even though they can be jerks. Believe it or not, that have chilled out over the years haha

I also have a long spine urchin that is the same age, roughly 14yrs.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Fireclown tending her eggs is about 33 and her mate is a few years younger.

These guys normally live for about 10 years, but I know some people kept them longer

Copperbands also live over 10 years but for some reason some of mine get a neurological condition after that.

Bangai Cardinals have the shortest lifespan of about 3 or 4 years

I usually have bluestripe pipefish and they live and spawn for about 6 years.

This Janss Pipefish lived for 7 years.

One of my Possum Wrasses is over 7 years, maybe 10

I kept these spawning watchmans for I think 12 years.

My Mandarins live and keep spawning for 10 years.

This urchin just died after about 12 years, (could be 10)

This pair of hermit crabs also lived about 10 years.

Solid info. Beautiful animals.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back