Fish Life Expectancy

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question I can't find much data on.

What are the longest living fish in the hobby and what are some of the shortest lived fish?

Both anecdotes and actual research welcome.

You don't really hear people ask this question when considering tank life stock.

As someone who's had a box turtle for 30 years I like to consider how long or short a commitment I am making in pets.

Thanks, Kiboshed

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the longest living fish in the hobby and what are some of the shortest lived fish?
Keeping in mind that the sample size of fish that have a known (approximate) age and that survive to their max lifespans in aquariums is small, here's what I've heard:

-On the longest living side: clowns can live up to ~40 plus years in captivity (they're some of the longest lived I'm aware of); I've heard of a rabbitfish that lived to ~40 as well; tangs and at least some angels seem to be able to live to ~30 plus.

-Most other fish (chromis, damsels, a number of predators, etc.) seem to live more in the ~10-20 year range. This is a more moderate age range.

-On the shortest living side: a handful of fish (gobies, cardinals, etc.) seem to live in the ~1-10 year range (small gobies being the shortest that I'm aware of out of species that are commonly kept in the hobby, typically living ~1-3 years, with 1-2 being more typical from what I've heard).

Edit: Wrasses seem to fall into both the short and moderate ranges, depending on species.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping in mind that the sample size of fish that have a known (approximate) age and that survive to their max lifespans in aquariums is small, here's what I've heard:

-On the longest living side: clowns can live up to ~40 plus years in captivity (they're some of the longest lived I'm aware of); I've heard of a rabbitfish that lived to ~40 as well; tangs and at least some angels seem to be able to live to ~30 plus.

-Most other fish (chromis, damsels, a number of predators, etc.) seem to live more in the ~10-20 year range. This is a more moderate age range.

-On the shortest living side: a handful of fish (gobies, cardinals, etc.) seem to live in the ~1-10 year range (small gobies being the shortest that I'm aware of out of species that are commonly kept in the hobby, typically living ~1-3 years, with 1-2 being more typical from what I've heard).

Edit: Wrasses seem to fall into both the short and moderate ranges, depending on species.
Fascinating. Thank you.

The fact that small fish specifically within the Pomacentridae family live so long is a interesting anomaly to me. While similar sized fish only live a fraction of the time.

I wonder if it's just a data bias? Sooo many people keep clowns and damsels vs say Dottybacks that maybe we as humans have just gotten really good at keeping them alive over long periods of time.

Probably not, but either way the implications are interesting.

Would love to hear input on other more common species people keep and how long they lived. Wrasses, Blennies, Anathias, some of the big bois like trigger fish and the larger Angels, ect. ect.

Data! We need Data!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small - medium wrasses live 5-10 years. Large ones can live a bit over 10 years.

@lion king will know predatory fish

There are way too many variables to give an accurate answer. In the case of the Scorpaenidae and related predators, they live 10-15 years in the wild, the larger the species the longer the life. If gotten young you should have a volitan over 10 years to maybe 13 years or so, a dwarf species more like 7-10 years. Eels will live 20 to 30 years in the wild, again with larger species living longer. A well kept eel will go from from low teens to close to 20 years depending on the species, relative to size. Anglers are still a mystery to me, I can't find any info on their lifespan in the wild, but in captivity the best outcome can be around 3 years with up to 5 years to be very rare. BUT sadly most of these species perish pretty quickly, with most barely living a year. Eels only averaging about 2 years, thats of those that don't go carpet surfing right off the bat. These species do take special consideration, especially with nutrition and feeding schedule; those that try and keep these like other aquarium fish will usually not have good results. I have kept triggers into the high teens.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't really hear people ask this question when considering tank life stock.

As someone who's had a box turtle for 30 years I like to consider how long or short a commitment I am making in pets.

Thanks, Kiboshed
I've read clowns can reach 40. Mine is 10.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, Kiboshed
Ive got a 20 year old clownfish. She was re homed by her first owner as he couldnt take her with him when he moved. LFS has a 28 year old clownfish in their display tank. I say thats pretty nuts for a fish!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, Kiboshed
Wrasses, Gobies, Blennies all generally live 1-5 years (Some wrasses can and often will live for 7-8 years if bought as a female).
Clownfish, Tangs, Angels, Rabbitfish can live for anywhere from 10 all the way to 30 years, most commonly they live for about 15-20 years though.
Butterflies (if kept well and thriving) can also live for 15-20 years however due to them being delicate many fail to keep them even past 1 year and sometimes they fall suspect to just withering away with any aggressive species of new fish added even after they’re established.

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, Kiboshed
My longest was a snowflake eel that lived just over 20yrs. I remember when I tried to buy him at the store, he escaped onto the floor. Took a while for them to catch it. Came back next day and bought him. Great personality also!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back