Fish list for reefer 900

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so was on Verge of buying a reefer 625 but learned that it would go straight through my floor so decided on putting a tank in the basement Which meant more room for me!! I ended up pulling the trigger on a reefer 900! So the problem I am having is what fish will go in the tank I will have a larg refugium and larg skimmer with a filter roller to help but this tank is 192 gallons and 240 with the sump the tank is 79 by 25 by 25 so it big also have some of the fish from a Previous tank so want to know is this to much

1 Fox face ✅

1 Naso tang

1 Blue tang

Copper band

1 Snow flake eel✅

1 Toming tang ✅

Achilles tang

2 clown fish ✅

1 Royal gramma✅

1 Yellow Chris wrasse

1 Six line wrasses

1 Leopard wrasses

2 fire fish

1 aptashia eating file fish

1 ruby red head wrasses

1 Adorned wrasses

1 Radiant wrasses

1 Possums wrasse

the ones with the check marks are the fish I have so I want the honest truth?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Eel, but not an expert. I’ll try to go over the others but please don’t take my word as gospel, I’m someone who wishes he had a tank already but stuck abroad due to Covid.

1. Fox Face- Good algae eater, hardy, not too bad in temperament. Any variety would fit, but the Bicolors and Magnificent are the prettiest.

2. Naso Tang- Not sure, they really need an 8-10’ tank IMO. They’re very much open water swimmers, pelagic I think, rather than more reef associated like other Tangs. They can also be not the hardiest fish.

3. Blue Tang- Maybe, but please check as these are also fairly large and active. They can be a little more prone to ich but seem to be hardy once established. I think some places in Indonesia might be breeding them in captivity but not sure about availability in the States.

4. Copperband Butterfly- Be sure to have a variety of foods ready, try to get an Australian specimen if possible though that might not always be easy. Start small, establish before more aggressive fish. Maybe check to see if it’s eating at the store. Fresh clams, shrimp, and chopped seafood would be a good start.

5. Tomini Tang- Great. Would make a dynamic algae eating duo with the Foxface.

6. Achilles Tang- These are some of the most active and least hardy Tangs out there, if you can find one. They live in very high flow areas with brisk water movement. They practically require a solid QT / prophylactic routine more so than the average fish or Tang does. Not sure about their size in captivity but don’t think they’re the largest Acanthurus.

7. Clownfish- I’m not a fan of the designer Clowns. If you want something peaceful but bored by the standard Ocellaris or Percula or Darwin Clowns, maybe give the Orange and Pink Skunks a try as they’re captive bred too.

8. Royal Gramma- Great, small and full of color. If you add them at the same time you can maybe do a harem like 3.

9. Yellow Coris Wrasse- Great color, personality and pest eater.

10. Six Line Wrasse- People have mixed reviews of them when it comes to aggression. Some say they’re devils among wrasses but others do just fine with them. If you have a big enough tank like your 900, maybe you can add one but as the last wrasse.

11. Leopard Wrasse- Can be difficult to get eating, this is another fish I’d have a variety of foods for upon introduction. Meleagris I heard is a relatively easy one for the genus.

12. Firefish- They need a confirmed pair unlike their Dartfish cousins, but a 900 should have enough space.

13. Aiptasia Eating Filefish- Get CB from ORA or Biota if possible. Interesting, some people say they eat SPS and softies.

14. Ruby Red Fairy Wrasse- Great.

15. Adorned Wrasse- Great.

16. Radiant Wrasse- Some say they don’t ship as well as other Halichoeres and seem to just die for no apparent reason, others say they’re just as hardy as other Halichoeres. I’d ask.

17. Possum Wrasse- Can be very secretive and tough to eat eating at first. They’re pod hunters that want some pods in their diet though not to the same degree as Mandarins. You might not see yours very often in a 900.

I would highly suggest a smaller Zebrasoma Tang in place of the Naso (Yellow, Purple, Gem) and a different species of Acanthurus (Mimic, Lavender, Convict- if you can find a healthy one that’s eating well, maybe Gold Rim).

You should also consider dwarf angels, some bottom dwellers, more peaceful damsels, and some other relatively reef safe butterflies (though expensive) like the Roaps subgenus or maybe the Lemons if you can find them captive bred from Biota. Pyramids and Zosters are plankton eaters and relatively reef safe.

Some of the Genicanthus angels are good too. You can mix females or do a pair. Captive bred Singapore and Blue Line angels from Poma Labs, Majestic Angels, Goldflake Angels, Regal Angels would all be options for larger angels.

Goldflake, Majestic can be found captive bred. Japanese Swallowtails are captive bred by Biota though not sure about their availability. Start with 2 smaller females and hopefully 1 will change to a male over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me, but in an ideal world I would have a Naso in nothing less than a 10’ tank.
The recommended is 180 gallons for a naso but my tank is a bit bigger so I will still problem have him in the tank as family also wants a naso tang

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Eel, but not an expert. I’ll try to go over the others but please don’t take my word as gospel, I’m someone who wishes he had a tank already but stuck abroad due to Covid.

1. Fox Face- Good algae eater, hardy, not too bad in temperament. Any variety would fit, but the Bicolors and Magnificent are the prettiest.

2. Naso Tang- Not sure, they really need an 8-10’ tank IMO. They’re very much open water swimmers, pelagic I think, rather than more reef associated like other Tangs. They can also be not the hardiest fish.

3. Blue Tang- Maybe, but please check as these are also fairly large and active. They can be a little more prone to ich but seem to be hardy once established. I think some places in Indonesia might be breeding them in captivity but not sure about availability in the States.

4. Copperband Butterfly- Be sure to have a variety of foods ready, try to get an Australian specimen if possible though that might not always be easy. Start small, establish before more aggressive fish. Maybe check to see if it’s eating at the store. Fresh clams, shrimp, and chopped seafood would be a good start.

5. Tomini Tang- Great. Would make a dynamic algae eating duo with the Foxface.

6. Achilles Tang- These are some of the most active and least hardy Tangs out there, if you can find one. They live in very high flow areas with brisk water movement. They practically require a solid QT / prophylactic routine more so than the average fish or Tang does. Not sure about their size in captivity but don’t think they’re the largest Acanthurus.

7. Clownfish- I’m not a fan of the designer Clowns. If you want something peaceful but bored by the standard Ocellaris or Percula or Darwin Clowns, maybe give the Orange and Pink Skunks a try as they’re captive bred too.

8. Royal Gramma- Great, small and full of color. If you add them at the same time you can maybe do a harem like 3.

9. Yellow Coris Wrasse- Great color, personality and pest eater.

10. Six Line Wrasse- People have mixed reviews of them when it comes to aggression. Some say they’re devils among wrasses but others do just fine with them. If you have a big enough tank like your 900, maybe you can add one but as the last wrasse.

11. Leopard Wrasse- Can be difficult to get eating, this is another fish I’d have a variety of foods for upon introduction. Meleagris I heard is a relatively easy one for the genus.

12. Firefish- They need a confirmed pair unlike their Dartfish cousins, but a 900 should have enough space.

13. Aiptasia Eating Filefish- Get CB from ORA or Biota if possible. Interesting, some people say they eat SPS and softies.

14. Ruby Red Fairy Wrasse- Great.

15. Adorned Wrasse- Great.

16. Radiant Wrasse- Some say they don’t ship as well as other Halichoeres and seem to just die for no apparent reason, others say they’re just as hardy as other Halichoeres. I’d ask.

17. Possum Wrasse- Can be very secretive and tough to eat eating at first. They’re pod hunters that want some pods in their diet though not to the same degree as Mandarins. You might not see yours very often in a 900.

I would highly suggest a smaller Zebrasoma Tang in place of the Naso (Yellow, Purple, Gem) and a different species of Acanthurus (Mimic, Lavender, Convict- if you can find a healthy one that’s eating well, maybe Gold Rim).

You should also consider dwarf angels, some bottom dwellers, more peaceful damsels, and some other relatively reef safe butterflies (though expensive) like the Roaps subgenus or maybe the Lemons if you can find them captive bred from Biota. Pyramids and Zosters are plankton eaters and relatively reef safe.

Some of the Genicanthus angels are good too. You can mix females or do a pair. Captive bred Singapore and Blue Line angels from Poma Labs, Majestic Angels, Goldflake Angels, Regal Angels would all be options for larger angels.

Goldflake, Majestic can be found captive bred. Japanese Swallowtails are captive bred by Biota though not sure about their availability. Start with 2 smaller females and hopefully 1 will change to a male over time.
Thank you for this reply’s it has a bunch of info that I will take into consideration before finalizing the list thank you!!

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decid on gettin rid of the Achilles tang and rather want a powder drown or lavender tang but don’t know witch one is better?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just a couple of recommendations for your consideration:

(1) Copperband survival has been problematic for many. In my case I opted for a Marginalis Butterfly (from TSM quarantined). As such, they are fully conditioned to eating. Downside is they may be difficult to find and a bit pricey.

(2) I highly recommend a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang in lieu of perhaps the Achilles, Bown or Naso.

(3) With regard to clownfish, I suggest buying a bonded pair.

(4) For color and curiosity you might consider a Flame Hawkfish if it would be appropriate for your reef inhabitants.

(5) With regard to the Blue Tang, you may have already considered this but also look at the Yellow Belly Blue.

(6) If your feeding schedule permits, a group of Anthias (I have Dispar) make for a beautiful display in the mid water column.

(7) Finally, when designing the rockscape, consider the amount of open free swimming space for the tangs and many nooks and crannies for the fish to sleep.

Thanks for reading. Just some thoughts to consider. You have a great tank with many possibilities. Best to you.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just a couple of recommendations for your consideration:

(1) Copperband survival has been problematic for many. In my case I opted for a Marginalis Butterfly (from TSM quarantined). As such, they are fully conditioned to eating. Downside is they may be difficult to find and a bit pricey.

(2) I highly recommend a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang in lieu of perhaps the Achilles, Bown or Naso.

(3) With regard to clownfish, I suggest buying a bonded pair.

(4) For color and curiosity you might consider a Flame Hawkfish if it would be appropriate for your reef inhabitants.

(5) With regard to the Blue Tang, you may have already considered this but also look at the Yellow Belly Blue.

(6) If your feeding schedule permits, a group of Anthias (I have Dispar) make for a beautiful display in the mid water column.

(7) Finally, when designing the rockscape, consider the amount of open free swimming space for the tangs and many nooks and crannies for the fish to sleep.

Thanks for reading. Just some thoughts to consider. You have a great tank with many possibilities. Best to you.
Thank you I will also keep this in mind before finalizing my list!

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Fox face ✅

1 Naso tang

1 convict tang

1 mimic tang

1 scopes tang

1 purple tang

1 Salfin tang

1 Blue tang

1 Toming tang ✅

2 clown fish ✅

1 Royal gramma✅

1 Yellow Chris wrasse

2 Leopard wrasses

2 fire fish

1 aptashia eating file fish

1 ruby red head wrasses

1 Adorned wrasses

1 Radiant wrasses

1 earmuff wrasses

1 Possums wrasses

1 Melanurus Wrasse

1 tail spot blenny
took a while but this is the new list got rid of the eel today gave back to my lfs so have some more bio load think this is to much will not be rehoming any fish once bought

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back