Fish list help

Tobiaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am in the middle of planning my dream tank. I am thinking of adding a mated pair of pipefish, a mated pair of seahorses, a mandarin dragonet, and a blue dot jawfish.

I am curious if, because the seahorses, pipefish, and dragonet, all eat copepods all day long as one of their main if not their main food source, will the copepods be able to populate the tank enough to sustain them all? It’s a 50g with a 5G or so sump. If you don’t think this will work out, what would you suggest to get it to work?

additionally, I have read I should avoid territorial fish with seahorses. Will the blue dot jawfish causes issues in this regard or will it leave my seahorses alone?

thanks for all the help!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well between the seahorses and the mandarin you may need lots of extra pods. I would probably pick one or the other. Also, dont seahorses need colder water?

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot of difficult specimens to keep. I wouldnt attempt it unless your experienced enough. I would say a 5g sump would be too small for the nutrients you will be adding to feed them. I would go with a sump that holds 15 gallons of water or more. I've always heard that to keep a single mandarin fed on pods alone it should be a 50 gallon tank. You could supplement some of the food with newly hatched brine you have the option of cultivating your own copepods.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am in the middle of planning my dream tank. I am thinking of adding a mated pair of pipefish, a mated pair of seahorses, a mandarin dragonet, and a blue dot jawfish.

I am curious if, because the seahorses, pipefish, and dragonet, all eat copepods all day long as one of their main if not their main food source, will the copepods be able to populate the tank enough to sustain them all? It’s a 50g with a 5G or so sump. If you don’t think this will work out, what would you suggest to get it to work?

additionally, I have read I should avoid territorial fish with seahorses. Will the blue dot jawfish causes issues in this regard or will it leave my seahorses alone?

thanks for all the help!

I would be heavily researching how to get captive bred for all of your species. They are more likely to eat prepared/frozen foods, and more likely to survive. I don't think you could get by on copepods alone with those fish in a 50g tank.

Check out: Biota, Sea Horse Savvy, Ocean Rider

Can't speak to the jawfish myself, I've never had one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back