Fish List Question

Rogerga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All, I have a 75g with trigger sump & nyos skimmer and currently I only have a pair of extreme black ice clownfish and no coral yet since the light purchase is my last thing to get. I am planning on a Fairy or Flasher wrasse(carpenter or McCorskeri), Coral Beauty Angel, Midas Blenny or starry blenny, Goby/Pistol pair, and maybe a one spot foxface. Here is my question: I also want 3 Kaudern's Cardinals and was wondering if I could do those 3 and also do 3 blue reef chromis? With the cardinal and or chromis, is a purple dottyback OK? Is there an order I should add these fish listed above since the only ones in my tank right now are the clownfish pair?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t comment on the Chromis but I am pretty sure Kaudern cardinals pair and will usually harass the 3rd wheel to death so be prepared to re-home one.

Consider an orchid dottyback they are thought to be less aggressive for a dotty and are often available captive bred from biota

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All, I have a 75g with trigger sump & nyos skimmer and currently I only have a pair of extreme black ice clownfish and no coral yet since the light purchase is my last thing to get. I am planning on a Fairy or Flasher wrasse(carpenter or McCorskeri), Coral Beauty Angel, Midas Blenny or starry blenny, Goby/Pistol pair, and maybe a one spot foxface. Here is my question: I also want 3 Kaudern's Cardinals and was wondering if I could do those 3 and also do 3 blue reef chromis? With the cardinal and or chromis, is a purple dottyback OK? Is there an order I should add these fish listed above since the only ones in my tank right now are the clownfish pair?

If you want 3 cardinals, go with Pajama Cardinals. They don't establish pecking order via aggression.
other notes on the fish you are considering:

a Peaceful Fairy or Flasher Wrasse would be an excellent choice as they will add color and activity to your tank and generally won't create problems
A Coral Beauty Angel added before corals isn't a good plan IMHO. If you do Corals, I would stick to Euphyllia as they tend to be less tasty to dwarf angels (My Coral Beauty takes the occasional exploratory nip at my Frogspawn and Hammer Corals and then spits the little chunk back out). They are also good at bouncing back. It also helps to have a well established tank with algae for them to graze on and daily seaweed feedings help too.
Midas Blenny can be a fin nipper
Chromis are just a bad idea, many people can't keep them from picking each other off
The Goby/Pistol pair is a good idea and many people enjoy the symbiotic relationship that the two form
The One Spot Foxface is a good choice, but a 75 gallon is really pushing it IMHO for one. I have one in my 90 gallon and I feel that is pushing it as well. If you get one, get it small
Any Dottyback outside of the Orchid is a poor choice IMHO. They are aggressive buggers that will attack fish 3 times their size. The Orchid is the best behaved of the bunch, but it's still a Dottyback, so keep that in mind

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ever keep one chromis. Love the color they bring, but they don’t do well together unless you get into the 10 or more group size.

Bandai cardinals will pair off and the third typically dies.

I have 3 red lined cardinals that I thoroughly enjoy. They are a very active cardinal that uses all levels of the water column. 2 are spawning regularly and they have no issues with each other.

I also have a trio of zebra darts and azure damsels that provide constant color and activity

I would not put a foxface in that size tank.

My fox face is the largest fish in my 5’ 108gal and I’m pushing it IMO.

OP
OP
Rogerga

Rogerga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want 3 cardinals, go with Pajama Cardinals. They don't establish pecking order via aggression.
other notes on the fish you are considering:

a Peaceful Fairy or Flasher Wrasse would be an excellent choice as they will add color and activity to your tank and generally won't create problems
A Coral Beauty Angel added before corals isn't a good plan IMHO. If you do Corals, I would stick to Euphyllia as they tend to be less tasty to dwarf angels (My Coral Beauty takes the occasional exploratory nip at my Frogspawn and Hammer Corals and then spits the little chunk back out). They are also good at bouncing back. It also helps to have a well established tank with algae for them to graze on and daily seaweed feedings help too.
Midas Blenny can be a fin nipper
Chromis are just a bad idea, many people can't keep them from picking each other off
The Goby/Pistol pair is a good idea and many people enjoy the symbiotic relationship that the two form
The One Spot Foxface is a good choice, but a 75 gallon is really pushing it IMHO for one. I have one in my 90 gallon and I feel that is pushing it as well. If you get one, get it small
Any Dottyback outside of the Orchid is a poor choice IMHO. They are aggressive buggers that will attack fish 3 times their size. The Orchid is the best behaved of the bunch, but it's still a Dottyback, so keep that in mind
Thank you for the input. As a feature point in the tank, I was thinking the one spot foxface as it was the smaller of the line. How about a kole tang instead? I also could go with a starry blenny or a sailfin/algae blenny instead of the midas, I just liked the color on the Midas better.

OP
OP
Rogerga

Rogerga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ever keep one chromis. Love the color they bring, but they don’t do well together unless you get into the 10 or more group size.

Bandai cardinals will pair off and the third typically dies.

I have 3 red lined cardinals that I thoroughly enjoy. They are a very active cardinal that uses all levels of the water column. 2 are spawning regularly and they have no issues with each other.

I also have a trio of zebra darts and azure damsels that provide constant color and activity

I would not put a foxface in that size tank.

My fox face is the largest fish in my 5’ 108gal and I’m pushing it IMO.
Thanks for the advice. You think I could go with one chromis and just a pair of Kaudern cardinals as a better idea? I will look up the red lined cardinals.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. You think I could go with one chromis and just a pair of Kaudern cardinals as a better idea? I will look up the red lined cardinals.
Yes I do...….that would be fine

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back