Fish look dusty!

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a lavender tang, ****** trigger, clown fish, wrasse and fox face. Both the clown and tang appear to be very dust. No large white spots like ich. So I was thinking flukes. Dosed for flukes in DT with prazi. All fish prior to going into display have been in qt. Never any signs of ich or velvet. Only flukes which my local shop seems to always have. I did not fresh water dip fish in DT due to I don't wanna stress everyone out. And I would need to remove rocks. Fish are flashing but not a ton . Not swimming into any power heads either. Eating like beasts as usual. Dose vitamins into food at every feeding. There has not been any new additions to the system in weeks.

Only new addition was an sps coral from that local lfs. I do know u can bring stuff in on coral and I don't qt my coral. Any suggestions?
IMG_1481226882.291904.jpg
IMG_1481226913.387346.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweetie I'm sorry to tell you but that looks like velvet. You are going to have to remove all the fish for QT asap. That is most certainly not flukes you are seeing. They may have flukes in addition to this, but that's a concern for later.
Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) <<-- for more info on velvet click here.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy how bringing in a coral almost a month ago has given me velvet.
I only wish it were crazy, but it seems like this is happening more and more. And it really makes sense based on the timeline.

Tangs are more susceptible to ich and velvet than many other marine fish due to their thin mucus coat so they show symptoms early.

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the hydrogen peroxide at 2ml per 10 gallon on velvet. Or even in a dip with fresh saltwater.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the hydrogen peroxide at 2ml per 10 gallon on velvet. Or even in a dip with fresh saltwater.

It hasn't been studied yet. Or not well enough to say it works or recommend it. If you try it, document every step with pictures and post it here please!

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the tang today. But if I have any other tank mates that look really bad I will give it a try. Can't hurt if they are already going down hill. I am willing!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweetie I'm sorry to tell you but that looks like velvet. You are going to have to remove all the fish for QT asap. That is most certainly not flukes you are seeing. They may have flukes in addition to this, but that's a concern for later.
Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) <<-- for more info on velvet click here.
100% agree and you need to act fast as you have a few days until that fish is dead, maximum.

Edit, sorry for your loss!

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so may be a dumb question but now that my tank is going fallow how do I keep my nitrates and phosphate in check so my coral stays happy?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are going through this. I was battling velvet on a batch of chromis recently. There's a store in Wilmington, DE that has all of the medications in case you are missing anything. You did the right thing by acting quickly and not trying to wait it out. Good luck!

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity why does ich kill some fish but others live? Is it because the immune system is lowered so they are susceptible to other diseases/general weakness and that ich can attach behind the gills lowering oxygen supply?

I did come across this when I was looking into marine fish diseases, I've not tried it because so far I've not had to deal with ich. It's about hydrogen peroxide bath.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=212442

Some of the linked articles are no longer working, Melypr I imagine you came across those before and what's your thoughts?

Last edited:
Back