Fish of hex N and P concentration help??

CowboyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what concentration fish of hex N and P are. I’m all about supporting, but after using 10 gallons a year time to DIY.

I have potassium nitrate and trisodium phosphate. Anyone know roughly the concentrations that @FishOfHex is using so I can make my own pretty similar don’t have to change my dosing pump or don’t over or under do it and have to test for weeks to hone it in as I’m using about 50 ml a day of his nitrate and 15 ml a day of his of Po4.

I know there’s the planted tank and a few other calculators but ideally it would be nice to know what he’s doing.
thanks for the help.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won’t like to hear this, but if you want to save money with the DIY, you need to be willing to figure out the doses of your DIY solutions; they can be as concentrated or as dilute as you need them to be.

Fortunately, precise dosing of phosphates isn’t helpful since the rocks bind a lot of it, and nitrates seem to deplete rapidly for you, so that won’t matter either.

Don’t chase numbers for nutrients. If you want to stay in your comfort zone, use FishOfHex’s supplement. It will be pricy, but you already have the doses figured out.

By the way, I don’t suggest using potassium nitrate, especially in such a high-demand tank, because your potassium might rise too high. Calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate is a better option.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of Fish of Hex, but on looking at the web site, I'd make two comments:

1. They do not list concentration that I can tell. Does the bottle give any dosing amounts to give a specific boost?

2. I don't recommend the nitrate product as it is potassium nitrate, and unless you monitor potassium, it may rise quite a bit (as Miami noted).

OP
OP
CowboyCorals

CowboyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no concent
You probably won’t like to hear this, but if you want to save money with the DIY, you need to be willing to figure out the doses of your DIY solutions; they can be as concentrated or as dilute as you need them to be.

Fortunately, precise dosing of phosphates isn’t helpful since the rocks bind a lot of it, and nitrates seem to deplete rapidly for you, so that won’t matter either.

Don’t chase numbers for nutrients. If you want to stay in your comfort zone, use FishOfHex’s supplement. It will be pricy, but you already have the doses figured out.

By the way, I don’t suggest using potassium nitrate, especially in such a high-demand tank, because your potassium might rise too high. Calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate is a better option.

Thanks for the reply. I know they can be as dilute or concentrated. Was more looking for help to see if anyone knew what his concentrations were so I didn’t have to do a bunch of dosing and testing to find out how much to use and I could keep my doser dosing the same amounts.

Also thanks for the heads up on the potassium nitrate. Very well could be an issue. Fortunately I do 30% WC every other week and my ICP was in range. If he doesn’t respond or nobody knows concentrations I’ll switch to sodium nitrate and figure out what keeps it for me.
As far as not chasing nutrients, I actually don’t. I just have an issue when my acans, chalices, and torches get anything under 10 nitrates and .1 phosphate. They starve very quickly.
feeding 4-6 cubes a day and a tablespoon of reef roids and benepets. If I miss a feeding my nutrients can drop 5 ppm nitrates and .05 phosphates in 1 day so the dosing helps to keep stuff from starving…..and don’t worry I’m feeding a lot.

thanks for the reply

OP
OP
CowboyCorals

CowboyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of Fish of Hex, but on looking at the web site, I'd make two comments:

1. They do not list concentration that I can tell. Does the bottle give any dosing amounts to give a specific boost?

2. I don't recommend the nitrate product as it is potassium nitrate, and unless you monitor potassium, it may rise quite a bit (as Miami noted).
1. Sadly no, but was hoping he would mention his concentrations here for me so I don’t have to do the testing and guesswork and just make a gallon of each and put back on doser without changing anything. Saves me a bunch of testing and figuring it out and then helps for future reference changing anything.
2) thanks for the heads up from you and Miami. I’ve been good with ICPs and doing 30% bi- weekly WC’es. If I don’t find out I’ll switch to sodium nitrate which will keep me from having issues down the road if I stop water changes or things

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CowboyCorals

I can help you make the solutions if you want me to.

I made myself a solution of phosphates where each mL adds 0.01ppm to my system. I can tell you how many grams in a gallon solution (or liters) to make it (you can also use the calculator if you want to make it yourself.)

Let me know. :)

Back