Fish Pictures With My New Camera

A few more from this weekend
_DSC2620.jpg
_DSC2630.jpg
_DSC2697.jpg
 
Yesterday I received a new (to me, released in 2014) Nikon D810. I did my first photo session last night with a 50mm 1.8 lens, and am quite excited to tinker with it. I am going to update this thread periodically with progress and welcome any constructive criticism or observations.
DSC_0616-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Screenshot_20241010_002349_Gallery.jpg
DSC_0578-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I am very interested in people's opinions on cropping. Macro photography interests me most and I consume social media via my phone. So I tend to crop way in. Here is another version of the Naso Tang picture. To me, on my phone, I like the headshot better. But on the laptop, the whole fish with bokeh background is nice. Let me know what y'all think!
DSC_0508-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Impressive
 
Beautiful photos! I use the d500 and d600 (being older an older camera its full frame) and i like using a tamron 90mm macro lens for the close up shots, and a sigma 50mm beast of a lens for whole tank shots. The macros are worth it when it comes to the photography i think you're trying to achieve. You can get some step down rings also (might be called something different but that's what i know them by) for super close ups of coral and small fish.
 
Male dispar anthias, they flash at the females in their harem and color up like this
Indeed. The original harem was 1 male and 5 females. The male died during a house move. He literally died after I netted him, like a heart attack or something. Two females have since transitioned into males and are the ones recently pictured. It's amazing to see them completely transform.
 
Beautiful photos! I use the d500 and d600 (being older an older camera its full frame) and i like using a tamron 90mm macro lens for the close up shots, and a sigma 50mm beast of a lens for whole tank shots. The macros are worth it when it comes to the photography i think you're trying to achieve. You can get some step down rings also (might be called something different but that's what i know them by) for super close ups of coral and small fish.
I use similar Nikon equivalent lenses. The 105mm 2.8 macro and the 50mm 2.8, which as you said is great for full tank shots. I've thought about getting the 50mm 1.8 as those 50mm are razor sharp and a great value.
 
Beautiful photos! I use the d500 and d600 (being older an older camera its full frame) and i like using a tamron 90mm macro lens for the close up shots, and a sigma 50mm beast of a lens for whole tank shots. The macros are worth it when it comes to the photography i think you're trying to achieve. You can get some step down rings also (might be called something different but that's what i know them by) for super close ups of coral and small fish.
I use similar Nikon equivalent lenses. The 105mm 2.8 macro and the 50mm 2.8, which as you said is great for full tank shots. I've thought about getting the 50mm 1.8 as those 50mm are razor sharp and a great value.
I use the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, they are definitely not as expensive as the art lenses.
 
I use the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, they are definitely not as expensive as the art lenses.
Art lenses? I'm not familiar with that term. Also, if you have any aquarium photos to share taken with your sigma lenses, I would be curious to see the results. A cheap 1.4 lens is tempting
 
The sigma art lenses are very very sharp, i however can't justify the price. I cant remember which ones were taken with the sigma at this point to be honest, i usually use the 90mm. I'll take some with the 50mm as soon as i can and try to post them. The problem with r2r is the 5mb size limit they have on uploads
 
The sigma art lenses are very very sharp, i however can't justify the price. I cant remember which ones were taken with the sigma at this point to be honest, i usually use the 90mm. I'll take some with the 50mm as soon as i can and try to post them. The problem with r2r is the 5mb size limit they have on uploads
No need to remember. Whatever app you use for photo processing will have an information icon that will give all the gear and settings for every shot. Even my phone gallery has it. Even shooting in RAW, the 5mb limit hasn't been an issue for me. With a bit of cropping, it almost always ends up being just a couple megs. If not, any image processing software will have a resize option. Lmk!
 
Question on the blue lighting. Do you use an orange lens as well or fix it in post?

These are stunning shots. I have a mirrorless Fuji I need to get out of the closet! I used to photograph dancers, but haven't used the camera in a while.
 
Question on the blue lighting. Do you use an orange lens as well or fix it in post?

These are stunning shots. I have a mirrorless Fuji I need to get out of the closet! I used to photograph dancers, but haven't used the camera in a while.
No filter. I adjust the white balance on the camera all the way to 10k. I shoot in RAW so I can adjust the tone curve in post. But usually the on-board WB gets me most of the way there. Get that camera out and join the POTM contest! Lots of good information about reef photography there!
 
Here is a video of the tank I shot today. I shot some video with my DSLR, but ended up not liking it. The phone is so forgiving...
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new