General Photography questions answered

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

This will be my first thread on this forum and I'm hoping that I can be some help answering some general questions being asked over and over again on this forum. I have read a lot of great answers and information given by other photographers but I would like to add to some of it (please don't feel insulted or discouraged if I sound like I don't totally agree with some of the advice or opinions given on this forum).

A little bit about my experience in photography: I was (past tense) certified pro by the PPA (past tense cause I am no longer a member of PPA, stopped paying the membership and certification renewal). I'm an Adobe Certified Expert in Photoshop CC. I'm a NPS (Nikon professional Services) member. I currently assist and teach in workshops, classes, and continuing ed courses in relation to portraiture/fashion photography in 2 colleges in NYC. I do not take pictures of my reef tank (I only enjoy it looking at it in my living room) but, I think on a technical standpoint of photography, I can still help many of you. I will try to clear up some of the misconceptions and confusion that I see a lot on this forum.

White Balance & Raw vs Jpeg:
I think this is the number one question or concern that I see. To clear up RAW vs Jpeg (when concerning white balance) is: firstly, if you can shoot and process a RAW file (meaning, you have the software to process it), then don't worry about it and just shoot RAW. The only difference between the 2 is that a JPEG is a "finished" file. If you're shooting JPEG in camera, that means that your camera is processing your image for you cause if your camera had a brain, it's assuming that you are not looking to post process the image yourself, so, it'll do you a favor by finishing it off for you. A RAW image is just that "RAW". The image is not processed or compressed. All of the information that the camera is capable of capturing is still in the file. Being that it is not compressed or information is not thrown out, you will have a lot more room to fine tune the white balance and everything else you want to perform during the post processing stage. If you want to just shoot it and forget it, shoot JPEG then. Don't get me wrong, it's not like you can't fix the white balance or post process a Jpeg image, it's just that a lot of the info or file has been thrown away in-camera.

As far as white balance in camera: firstly, I would say don't worry about it. Shoot it and fix it in post. It only takes a second to fix it in post and then batch process everything (cause I'm assuming the rest of your files are shot under the same lighting conditions). If you're looking to complicate things for yourself by getting the WB in camera correct, I understand why and I'll try to explain it to you. In the Kelvin scale, there are numbers that you are dealing with. In reality, the higher the number, for example 10,000 kelvin, the bluer it is. The further down, such as in comparison, 3200 kelvin, it is more yellow it is. In your camera, it'll be opposite cause your camera is trying to counteract against the specific lighting condition. For example, if the kelvin temp of the environment is 3200 K, that means that the light source is very yellow. If you set your camera to 3200 or incandescent, then your camera will add blue (which is complimentary to yellow) in the attempt to neutralize the yellow in the scene. Confused yet? see why I said to fix it in post? it's a lot easier.

Canon vs. Nikon:
There is absolutely no significant difference between the 2 brands!!! There is a very small difference in sensor size though. So small of a difference that it's not even worth factoring in to a decision of which to buy. Nikon sensors are ever so slightly larger than Canon sensors. On the crop sensor or APS-C sensors (in which many on this forum owns) the Nikon has a 1.5 crop factor and the Canon has a 1.6 crop factor. If you don't know what this means, don't worry about it, but if you're that curious, the way this affects you (besides the actual size of the sensor) is that you get the "field of view" of either 1.5x or 1.6x of the lens you're using. There is a huge misconception out there where photographers think that makes their 50mm lens into a 75mm. This is absolutely UNTRUE. You get the field of view of a 75mm, but your 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens, cropped! Some of the other insignificant differences are the fact that the Canons tend to add a bit more magenta to the file and the Nikons tend to add a bit more Blue. Doesn't make a difference at all if you're doing any type of post processing. There are some other insignificant technological advantages in either one such as CLS, AF sensor technology, etc. but the reason why it's insignificant, technology changes, catches up with each other, and changes so fast that as soon as one brand comes up with something amazing, the other one will match it or beat it. Moral of the story is, "don't worry about it, buy what you want, one is not better than the other".

Macro Lens:
I see a lot of suggestions about purchasing a macro lens as almost "a must" for aquarium photography. I don't mean to offend anybody, but I absolutely DISAGREE!! A Macro lens offer 1 benefit over everything else. At the particular focal length, a macro lens will allow you to get "physically" closer to the subject!! This will accomplish 2 things, it'll allow the photographer to take "in-camera", a 1:1 ratio shot and the depth of field will be so shallow, (in many cases a drawback instead of a benefit) regardless of the aperture that the photographer is using. This is why, personally I am able to tell in most instances that a claimed macro shot is not actually a macro shot. It may have been taken with a macro lens, but it's not a macro shot. The shot is actually a cropped image in post. See, I already gave you a suggestion: take the pic, and as long you have enough MP's to spare, crop it in post.

Lens Focal length:
I see a lot of suggestions on getting a certain focal length for specifically "aquarium shots". Again, I don't mean to offend anyone but I DISAGREE. The reason why I disagree is because there is no "formula" on a correct focal length to shoot corals, fish, or anything else! The only things a lens focal length does is 4 things: (1) The ability to "walk" with the lens rather then your feet (2) compression or exaggerating distance (3) DOF control (4) distortion control. So taking this into account, can someone explain to me why I keep hearing suggestions of using a 90mm -105mm focal length lenses? Even if the suggestion is something else, such as a 60mm,, I'm just saying, shouldn't the decision be made based on the factors mentioned and what he/she wants to create?

Equipment "in a nutshell":
Ok, in a nutshell,,, photography equipment is "you get what you pay for!!". If you're concerned about your budget, results that are equipment based, will be limited. Hope this makes sense. Another way to put it, theoretically, you can accomplish anything a power drill can do with a screwdriver and some elbow grease. You can accomplish the job a lot easier and faster (more efficient) by using a power drill instead of a screwdriver in most cases, but you'll pay a lot more for the power drill!! Make sense?

OK, if there's anything I can help you guys on, questions, concerns, gripes, etc. just ask, I'll do my best to respond.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all

This will be my first thread on this forum and I'm hoping that I can be some help answering some general questions being asked over and over again on this forum. I have read a lot of great answers and information given by other photographers but I would like to add to some of it (please don't feel insulted or discouraged if I sound like I don't totally agree with some of the advice or opinions given on this forum).

A little bit about my experience in photography: I was (past tense) certified pro by the PPA (past tense cause I am no longer a member of PPA, stopped paying the membership and certification renewal). I'm an Adobe Certified Expert in Photoshop CC. I'm a NPS (Nikon professional Services) member. I currently assist and teach in workshops, classes, and continuing ed courses in relation to portraiture/fashion photography in 2 colleges in NYC. I do not take pictures of my reef tank (I only enjoy it looking at it in my living room) but, I think on a technical standpoint of photography, I can still help many of you. I will try to clear up some of the misconceptions and confusion that I see a lot on this forum.

I think this is the number one question or concern that I see. To clear up RAW vs Jpeg (when concerning white balance) is: firstly, if you can shoot and process a RAW file (meaning, you have the software to process it), then don't worry about it and just shoot RAW. The only difference between the 2 is that a JPEG is a "finished" file. If you're shooting JPEG in camera, that means that your camera is processing your image for you cause if your camera had a brain, it's assuming that you are not looking to post process the image yourself, so, it'll do you a favor by finishing it off for you. A RAW image is just that "RAW". The image is not processed or compressed. All of the information that the camera is capable of capturing is still in the file. Being that it is not compressed or information is not thrown out, you will have a lot more room to fine tune the white balance and everything else you want to perform during the post processing stage. If you want to just shoot it and forget it, shoot JPEG then. Don't get me wrong, it's not like you can't fix the white balance or post process a Jpeg image, it's just that a lot of the info or file has been thrown away in-camera.

As far as white balance in camera: firstly, I would say don't worry about it. Shoot it and fix it in post. It only takes a second to fix it in post and then batch process everything (cause I'm assuming the rest of your files are shot under the same lighting conditions). If you're looking to complicate things for yourself by getting the WB in camera correct, I understand why and I'll try to explain it to you. In the Kelvin scale, there are numbers that you are dealing with. In reality, the higher the number, for example 10,000 kelvin, the bluer it is. The further down, such as in comparison, 3200 kelvin, it is more yellow it is. In your camera, it'll be opposite cause your camera is trying to counteract against the specific lighting condition. For example, if the kelvin temp of the environment is 3200 K, that means that the light source is very yellow. If you set your camera to 3200 or incandescent, then your camera will add blue (which is complimentary to yellow) in the attempt to neutralize the yellow in the scene. Confused yet? see why I said to fix it in post? it's a lot easier.

Canon vs. Nikon:
There is absolutely no significant difference between the 2 brands!!! There is a very small difference in sensor size though. So small of a difference that it's not even worth factoring in to a decision of which to buy. Nikon sensors are ever so slightly larger than Canon sensors. On the crop sensor or APS-C sensors (in which many on this forum owns) the Nikon has a 1.5 crop factor and the Canon has a 1.6 crop factor. If you don't know what this means, don't worry about it, but if you're that curious, the way this affects you (besides the actual size of the sensor) is that you get the "field of view" of either 1.5x or 1.6x of the lens you're using. There is a huge misconception out there where photographers think that makes their 50mm lens into a 75mm. This is absolutely UNTRUE. You get the field of view of a 75mm, but your 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens, cropped! Some of the other insignificant differences are the fact that the Canons tend to add a bit more magenta to the file and the Nikons tend to add a bit more Blue. Doesn't make a difference at all if you're doing any type of post processing. There are some other insignificant technological advantages in either one such as CLS, AF sensor technology, etc. but the reason why it's insignificant, technology changes, catches up with each other, and changes so fast that as soon as one brand comes up with something amazing, the other one will match it or beat it. Moral of the story is, "don't worry about it, buy what you want, one is not better than the other".

Macro Lens:
I see a lot of suggestions about purchasing a macro lens as almost "a must" for aquarium photography. I don't mean to offend anybody, but I absolutely DISAGREE!! A Macro lens offer 1 benefit over everything else. At the particular focal length, a macro lens will allow you to get "physically" closer to the subject!! This will accomplish 2 things, it'll allow the photographer to take "in-camera", a 1:1 ratio shot and the depth of field will be so shallow, (in many cases a drawback instead of a benefit) regardless of the aperture that the photographer is using. This is why, personally I am able to tell in most instances that a claimed macro shot is not actually a macro shot. It may have been taken with a macro lens, but it's not a macro shot. The shot is actually a cropped image in post. See, I already gave you a suggestion: take the pic, and as long you have enough MP's to spare, crop it in post.

Lens Focal length:
I see a lot of suggestions on getting a certain focal length for specifically "aquarium shots". Again, I don't mean to offend anyone but I DISAGREE. The reason why I disagree is because there is no "formula" on a correct focal length to shoot corals, fish, or anything else! The only things a lens focal length does is 4 things: (1) The ability to "walk" with the lens rather then your feet (2) compression or exaggerating distance (3) DOF control (4) distortion control. So taking this into account, can someone explain to me why I keep hearing suggestions of using a 90mm -105mm focal length lenses? Even if the suggestion is something else, such as a 60mm,, I'm just saying, shouldn't the decision be made based on the factors mentioned and what he/she wants to create?

Ok, in a nutshell,,, photography equipment is "you get what you pay for!!". If you're concerned about your budget, results that are equipment based, will be limited. Hope this makes sense. Another way to put it, theoretically, you can accomplish anything a power drill can do with a screwdriver and some elbow grease. You can accomplish the job a lot easier and faster (more efficient) by using a power drill instead of a screwdriver in most cases, but you'll pay a lot more for the power drill!! Make sense?

OK, if there's anything I can help you guys on, questions, concerns, gripes, etc. just ask, I'll do my best to respond.
Cool! Welcome to R2R, and thanks for the info! Based on the content above, it seems you have quite a bit of experience with photography in general and aquarium photography specifically. Could you post up some of your photos? I'd love to see some of your own work. :)

OP
OP
J

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Welcome to R2R, and thanks for the info! Based on the content above, it seems you have quite a bit of experience with photography in general and aquarium photography specifically. Could you post up some of your photos? I'd love to see some of your own work. :)

Thank you. I am not experienced in “aquarium photography” and I do not take pictures of my own tank. No particular reason, I just don’t. I just know many do enjoy taking pics of their reef. With my general knowledge of photography, I’m just trying to help. I read the threads on r2r to learn about fish and corals. I feel I can contribute and “give back” on the photography portion.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I am not experienced in “aquarium photography” and I do not take pictures of my own tank. No particular reason, I just don’t. I just know many do enjoy taking pics of their reef. With my general knowledge of photography, I’m just trying to help. I read the threads on r2r to learn about fish and corals. I feel I can contribute and “give back” on the photography portion.
We definitely appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us! That's what we're all about as a community. Thanks for joining us, and I look forward to seeing you around! :)

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Canon vs. Nikon:

Macro Lens:

Lens Focal length:

What about lens filters?! Do u need them and do you use them? If so what filters do u use

OP
OP
J

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about lens filters?! Do u need them and do you use them? If so what filters do u use

Hi Zazzy

I own several filters but hardly ever use any of them. My opinion is that you are sticking a $50 or so piece of glass or plastic (my filters costs a whole lot more though) in front of a lens that’s approximately $2k,, so it makes no sense to use them unless it’s for a very specific reason, such as slower shutter speed with a ND filter or cutting reflections with a circular polarizer. For aquarium photography, I wouldn’t use any filters but if you really feel the need to use a filter (for whatever strange reason), I would suggest you try a circular polarizer filter.

John

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can yes. It will filter out the the higher blue wavelengths.
An 85 filter is orange.
Amber colors contain some reds as well as yellow and orange so will pull out a wider range of spectrum.

If you look at the typical reef spectrum (high on the blue end) what you are filtering is the opposite end. In the spectrum , blue is the opposite of organge for example.

Many folks who’s cameras(or phone ) won’t get a high enough color temperature can use a filter to compensate.
For phones , a swatch from Lee filters or rosco filters will have a number of shades of orange Amber to experiment with.

So far as color temps go in a reef , many are actually much much higher than 20,000 degrees kelvin.
Some cameras a 10,000 k may still process at 10k and be a bit blue but will still produce a more than adequate photo even without post processing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Zazzy

I own several filters but hardly ever use any of them. My opinion is that you are sticking a $50 or so piece of glass or plastic (my filters costs a whole lot more though) in front of a lens that’s approximately $2k,, so it makes no sense to use them unless it’s for a very specific reason, such as slower shutter speed with a ND filter or cutting reflections with a circular polarizer. For aquarium photography, I wouldn’t use any filters but if you really feel the need to use a filter (for whatever strange reason), I would suggest you try a circular polarizer filter.

John
A circular or linear pola won’t do anything in artificial light environments.

Many who enjoy the actinic only photos will Benifit for the use of an orange / amber filter as it reduces the ambient blue and allows the sensor (or film) to expose to the reflected yellows reds oranges greens etc by lowering the blue to other color ratio.

Those who are using a lower end dslr camera can also benifit as the color temps as many won’t have the gamut or range to handle even 20k.
So an 85 (a or b depending ) or “sunset “ or amber filter is a good solid choice.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @John494 with regards filters. I never like to use colour filters for colour photos. I did however use colour filters for B/W film before the advent of digital cameras. The optics in your camera are the most expensive component. sticking a bit of gel or plastic over the end just seems counter productive. Also one of the hurdles to overcome with Aquarium Photography is light levels. The more light the more room you have to play with shutter speed and Aperture. Placing a filter over your lens will reduce the amount of light entering the lens.

With regard WB , good luck with that on a reef tank with that mix of LED`s, especially if you like it blue to show of fluorescence. WB under those conditions using a grey/ white card is very difficult. I have tried and I am afarid I just can`t match it. Maybe some of you pros have a trick to white balance with no real white light.

I also agree with the comment re Macro, or True Macro. 1:1. Although using a longer focal length Macro overcomes the need to get really close to your subject. This is why for nature macro shots I would use longer focal length. If I had to get within 5cm of a animal to take a macro it would probably spook and fly off. One way to create macro shots of corals, with a macro lens of short focal length is to place them right in the front of a frag tank. That way you can get very close. The biggest thing with macro is again light. The depth of field on a macro is very restricted especially with regards aperture. The greater the depth of field the more of your subject will be in focus. Best way to overcome this on an aquarium IME is to ramp up the light source.

I must add one big caveat here. Your photos are your personal choice, not everything has to be pin sharp and in focus. You don`t` need to spend a fortune on camera equipment to take great photos. It just gives you more options and more room to play with. Most aquarium shots I see are small in size. These are not meant to be blown up to poster size or for a magazine print run. Even a simple camera phone can produce amazing photos. The difference will become obvious only once you enlarge that to print size.

If I would give any advice from my experience in photography it would be, Shoot lots of photos, lots and lots, try different aperture, shutter speed and film speed combinations. The more shots you have the more you have to choose from. Unless you are wanting to sell your photos or have them published, don`t` spend a fortune on equipment just for aquarium shots. Practice with what you have. Believe me I have seen some stunning photos made with the most basic equipment and some very average shots taken on very expensive equipment. If its just a hobby then enjoy yourself and posts your pics on the R2R photo contests. It really is about having fun and sharing.

The beauty of digital photography is post process. Don`t` be afraid to turn up your whites green and reds for a photo. Get the shot you want then process it afterwards. I always crop my photos to some extent. Its like framing a picture. Just don`t` overcrop as you will loose a lot of quality on basic equipment.

Keep those great photos coming. I love looking through some of the amazing shots on R2R.

andre zaharchenya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on what macro lens (for iPhone X) I can use to take high resolution close up pics of coral polyps ? I have water prove case and take pics under water.

andre zaharchenya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1030.JPG

So far one of my best shots but want some better lens.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back