Photography questions DSLR

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all! Been reefing for a super long time and always had nice tanks but no real way to take quality photos of them other than using my iPhone 13 Pro with an orange lens finally I decided to upgrade to a DSLR camera. I got a rebel T6 from Canon and realized it wasn’t just quite doing the job from some of the photos that I have seen so I upgraded one more time and got a Canon 90D. And of course, with that I had to buy a 100 mm macro lens 2.8f with all the other randoms numbers and letter idk. There’s not a ton of videos on YouTube that I have seen but I have come across a couple good ones that use Adobe Lightroom for editing.

I have spent countless hours tweaking in settings trying to find the perfect combination I still, however I’m not able to get a great photo under these blue lights. Everything is so dark even after doing the tips that these videos say so recently I bought an orange number 16 filter and attached it to my lens and started taking pictures but now everything is way too orange.

Is there any chance someone can help me with some settings or some editing in either Lightroom or on my camera itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no real way to compensate for lack of light when taking a photograph.

In dim light, you need to use a high ISO setting, and despite what manufacturers like to make you think, high ISO means the picture will be noisy and grainy.

The only alternative is a long exposure, and then any movement, by you, or by the things you photograph, will result in blurriness. You would need to use a tripod and turn off all water flow. Even then, fish will be blurry.

I use an 80D. Most of the time a flash is necessary, so you might as well use white light in the tank.

These were with a 60mm macro lens

IMG_7095_01.jpg

IMG_6792_01.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

OP
OP
twhit030

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In dim light, you need to use a high ISO setting, and despite what manufacturers like to make you think, high ISO means the picture will be noisy and grainy.

The only alternative is a long exposure, and then any movement, by you, or by the things you photograph, will result in blurriness. You would need to use a tripod and turn off all water flow. Even then, fish will be blurry.

I use an 80D. Most of the time a flash is necessary, so you might as well use white light in the tank.

IMG_7095_01.jpg

IMG_6792_01.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg
So these were with my rebel t6 and I’m fairly happy with them now realizing how much better the 90d is. I do really love these pictures but just so much blue. You see so many pictures that the coral or fish pop like crazy and the background is faded blurred and fairly dark. But yet it seems everything in the front is bright if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
twhit030

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_7095_01.jpg

IMG_6792_01.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg
These are with my 90d def clearer photos and slightly less blue but it’s still strong. Well it’s only letting upload the one because the others are too large

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
twhit030

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know anyone can go on google and find crazy photos but like this photo here is insane to me I don’t really see how they make the fish pop so easily no blues and a nice deep background that still has color idk if it’s the aperture or what

(Not my photo btw I’m not taking credit)

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 25

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really love these pictures but just so much blue.
Colour balance can be edited in many ways. I don't use Lightroom. I use a free (and I think better) program called Darktable.

Your editing seems to have removed EXIF data so I can't see your settings, but there was some noise so I suspect a high ISO. I try to keep it below 800

A quick edit - white balance and noise removal, some sharpening, etc. I left the first one a bit blue, and set the second for correct white balance (approx.)

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0044_01.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to find manual white balance in the settings...white balance is important for making the colors appear how they would in normal daylight. I do it for my dive photography while diving.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to find manual white balance in the settings...white balance is important for making the colors appear how they would in normal daylight. I do it for my dive photography while diving.

Of course, you can choose to compensate and correct white balance in the camera as you take the photo, or later in post processing, especially if you shoot RAW images. I mostly to do it later

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know anyone can go on google and find crazy photos but like this photo here is insane to me I don’t really see how they make the fish pop so easily no blues and a nice deep background that still has color idk if it’s the aperture or what

(Not my photo btw I’m not taking credit)
The blown out background is a result of a wide aperture and the subject being sufficiently far away from the background. I personally run my lights very white so I do not have to correct the white balance as much in post.
FE67A488-F143-4C96-92B6-66728936608C.jpeg

For example, this photo was taken at f/1.8 which separates the subject (convict tang) from the background (flame angel).

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blown out background is a result of a wide aperture and the subject being sufficiently far away from the background. I personally run my lights very white so I do not have to correct the white balance as much in post.
FE67A488-F143-4C96-92B6-66728936608C.jpeg

For example, this photo was taken at f/1.8 which separates the subject (convict tang) from the background (flame angel).

With a macro lens, you usually struggle with the opposite effect, and that is, the depth of field is too shallow. See the hermit in my photos above - shot at f/2.8, even the shell is already going out of focus. To get reasonable depth of field and sufficient light into the camera, I end up using f/8 or f/9. The background will still be blurred nicely.

OP
OP
twhit030

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Colour balance can be edited in many ways. I don't use Lightroom. I use a free (and I think better) program called Darktable.

Your editing seems to have removed EXIF data so I can't see your settings, but there was some noise so I suspect a high ISO. I try to keep it below 800

A quick edit - white balance and noise removal, some sharpening, etc. I left the first one a bit blue, and set the second for correct white balance (approx.)

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0044_01.jpg
Woooooow that’s so cool!!! That’s crazy I’ll def look into that editing software. I can see if I can send the photo with the data. That’s after I “developed the photo”

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooooow that’s so cool!!! That’s crazy I’ll def look into that editing software. I can see if I can send the photo with the data. That’s after I “developed the photo”

Lightroom should be able to do the same as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back