Fish planning 470g tank

Chris-Crosby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning what fish to put in my reef tank. I’m curious as to others opinions on this - how many tangs would you put in a 10ft 470g display tank? Here is my planned stocking list.

5 Yellow tangs
2 Purple tangs
1 Gem Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Naso tang
1 powder blue tang
1 crosshatch trigger
2 clownfish
15 Bartlett anthias
5 Lyretail anthias
2 wrasses
6 Banggai Cardinals
6 Blue chromis
Maybe a few other small fish also

I feel like this is too many tangs or maybe just too many fish in general but idk. What do you think?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. I would not go that high but I go on the light side. I would go for at least half that number of tangs and maybe less. You should have a plan for dealing with tang aggression because even with a much smaller population, you can get it. My tank is 2/3 of your tanks capacity. My tangs all seem to use all of the tank all of the time. You might think of putting in more wrasses. There are some really nice reef safe wrasses and they are pretty durable. Bangai cardinals tend to pair up and in my tank I can only get one pair and I bet it might work the same in yours. Also, big tangs should probably be in longer tanks.

OP
OP
C

Chris-Crosby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. I would not go that high but I go on the light side. I would go for at least half that number of tangs and maybe less. You should have a plan for dealing with tang aggression because even with a much smaller population, you can get it. My tank is 2/3 of your tanks capacity. My tangs all seem to use all of the tank all of the time. You might think of putting in more wrasses. There are some really nice reef safe wrasses and they are pretty durable. Bangai cardinals tend to pair up and in my tank I can only get one pair and I bet it might work the same in yours. Also, big tangs should probably be in longer tanks.
Thanks for the input! I’ve had a few tanks before but they were all a lot smaller so I think I’m letting the increase in size get to my head a little bit. I’m realizing I need to slow it down a bit. Here’s my revised list based on your input.

3 Yellow Tangs
1 Purple Tang
1 Gem Tang
1 Naso Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Blue Tang
2 Clownfish
2 Bengai Cardinals
15 Bartlett Anthias
5 Lyretail anthias
1 orchid dottyback
4 wrasses

I think this is a reasonable although high bioload for the tank. I have removed the trigger, tangs some of the cardinals and added some wrasses. I think this is a bit closer to an achievable goal. For large tangs I feel as though 10ft is enough tank size for them.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good except the 5 yellow tangs. I would get 1 yellow and 4 other variants. Just not a fan of the common yellow.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 100 fish in my 450, with a dozen tangs. As long as you account for adequate swimming room and nutrient export, your list of tangs looks fine to me.

Assume by Naso you mean literatus .... usually folks do. Naso is actually a genus with some that will outgrow even a 450. Vlamingi for example.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning what fish to put in my reef tank. I’m curious as to others opinions on this - how many tangs would you put in a 10ft 470g display tank? Here is my planned stocking list.

5 Yellow tangs
2 Purple tangs
1 Gem Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Naso tang
1 powder blue tang
1 crosshatch trigger
2 clownfish
15 Bartlett anthias
5 Lyretail anthias
2 wrasses
6 Banggai Cardinals
6 Blue chromis

I feel like this is too many tangs or maybe just too many fish in general but idk. What do you think?
You are living my dream with that size tank. If it were my tang list I would subtract 3 Yellows and add a white tail bristletooth, a convict, a lavender, and a clown tang.

I would also add a marine beta and my all time favorite fish the red coris wrasse.

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5 Yellow tangs
2 Purple tangs
1 Gem Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Naso tang
1 powder blue tang
1 crosshatch trigger
2 clownfish
15 Bartlett anthias
5 Lyretail anthias
2 wrasses
6 Banggai Cardinals
6 Blue chromis

I would swap out two of your Big tangs for a pair of Pyramid Butterflies (they’re reef safe & stunning)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back