fish question

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago today i bought 10 green chromis and one purple pseduochromis. At this time im down to 7 and looks like 6 by the end of the day. There is one fish with its tail side picked apart down to the meat. This is the 2nd one to have this. My first thought was the pecking order but unless they do it at nite then it hasnt happen in the time i have watched them. Other thought is they are scratching theirselves on the marco rocks.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2012-02-15 06.26.26.jpg
    2012-02-15 06.26.26.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bad pic this morning but its the bottom fish and its only on one side.

Last edited:

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago today i bought 10 green chromis and one purple pseduochromis. At this time im down to 7 and looks like 6 by the end of the day. There is one fish with its tail side picked apart down to the meat. This is the 2nd one to have this. My first thought was the pecking order but unless they do it at nite then it hasnt happen in the time i have watched them. Other thought is they are scratching theirselves on the marco rocks.

Any thoughts?
Most likely 2 things, The Chromis have a habit of chasing the smallest until they kill or keep them cowared in a corner, Next possibility is that about 50% of shipped fish just never make it on average, Sad but very true. JMO
Bill

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down to only 5 chromis now, and i think i might now why. My purple pseudochromis has a white mustache. Could it be ick or some type of parasite? That would explain the scratched up sides of the dying chromis. Tried to take a pic of the white mustache but cant get a clear picture to show.

Any advice?
Thanks

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are the 5 u have now doing? i doubt the pseudo is killing them .. my chromis get picked on by eachother my clowns and my wrasses and they all still look fine and live. make sure ur feeding them well. i have a couple theories about why people keep loosing chromis.
1) is i think chromis might be killing eachother off cause theres to many per volume of water( noticed most peoples chromis die down to about 1 per 30gal)
2) is not enough food so they killing the ones off to make sure the rest have plenty of food to survive.

these are just my theories anyway.

kemper6120

Kayler Kemper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are the 5 u have now doing? i doubt the pseudo is killing them .. my chromis get picked on by eachother my clowns and my wrasses and they all still look fine and live. make sure ur feeding them well. i have a couple theories about why people keep loosing chromis.
1) is i think chromis might be killing eachother off cause theres to many per volume of water( noticed most peoples chromis die down to about 1 per 30gal)
2) is not enough food so they killing the ones off to make sure the rest have plenty of food to survive.

these are just my theories anyway.
Mike if you remember both of my clowns had this happen to them... they got the white color around the mouth and a spot or two somewhere else on there body before they died. i still dont have a clue what happened to them but my aquarium has stayed fishless for almost 7 weeks now.

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing got 5 chromis I only wanted 3 for the tank . Order can Saturday and now I have 3. I expected that there like the cool girl click in high school , pickin on the odd ones till there weeded out

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they all looked healthy before dieing, then one day i noticed a scratch up the side. Then the next day it be down to the meat, then it be red and they wouldnt be swimming very good. I feed them 3-4 times a day in small amounts. They go crazy over flakes and brine shrimp. I never see any white spots on the chromis just the scratch sides. My purple pseudo has a milk mustache which i wonder some type of diease. The temp is usually bout 77-78, my house temp is 70-72 and i cant bring down the temp more then that. Going to buy some fans this weekend. Finishing up the canopy and the t5bulbs came in yest.
Right now im using a single pc flour light and im getting a nasty black grime on the very bottom of the rock scape prob from the cheap light.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema? Anybody ever heard of this? After lots of searching i finally found this bacteria that matches the effects my chromis were dieing from.
Now i have to figure out if it how to cure this or hope that it wont flare up again.
One month ago i had 10 chromis and one purple pseudeo, now i just have 4 chromis. 4 chromis died within the first 7-10 days from the bacteria. I had 5 for the longest until the other day when one just disapear over night.

Any help?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back