Fish resistant corals?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all spend a lot of time worrying about how “reef safe” a fish is before adding one but what if the fish is the focus not the corals? In other words what corals can be added to a butterfly and/or angel tank?

I have been experimenting myself and have so far found mushrooms and GSP are completely left alone. Leathers are hit or miss but Zoas and clove polyps won’t last a second with my butterfly and angel.

Anyone else got some input.
image.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia really are underrated and most corallivores just won't touch them. They're also fast growers, so the loss of the occasional polyp isn't going to affect the overall look of your tank.

Kenya trees -- ugh -- will survive a nuclear bomb, so I try to avoid most species of capnella. Other nepthea species are much less obnoxiously invasive, and will add visual interest to your tank.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all kinds of corals over the years with butterflies and have found it to be a crapshoot. One species of fly may ignore mushrooms, but add a different species of fly and the mushrooms are gone. I have tried different leathers that did not get eaten but the flies would peck at them, annoying the corals. Rock flower anemones were candy to a rafflessi fly. Forget gorgonians or macro algae, they don't stand a chance.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back