Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 5 fish
2 clowns
1 ywg
1 bristletooth tang
1 six line wrasse

Last night I was looking at the fish under blue lights and it appeared that my six line was covered in white spots on its body and back fin. Then I looked at my tang and it also appears to have white spots on its body and side fins (hard to tell on the tang because it runs when it sees me). The other fish show no signs of white spots. None of the fish are rubbing or flashing or swimming into power heads or avoiding light. They are all active and eating. So I go out and buy a 60 gallon tank to setup temporary housing so I can treat everyone stayed up all night to make water so I can fill the new tank this morning.

Im looking at both the six line and the tang under 20k lights and see no white spots on either of them. Just wondering if the lighting fooled me or all the ich fell off? If you were in my position what would you do treat anyways or wait and see if it comes back? I have everything ready to go and plan on using copper safe with an API test kit If I have to.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple possible explanations. You just happened to notice the alleged ich right before the parasites drop off the fish to go reproduce, or the fish got some sand on them which eventually came off. I'd probably wait and see, I would want to stress the fish unless it was positively ich, although if it is ich it will come back even stronger. Tough call.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I'm ready to act quick if it was Ich and went away. Got the hospital tank up and running now will leave it going.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info will read up. This is really strange everyone is acting normal however I'm leaning towards catching everyone and starting copper treatment.

In a 60 gallon tank assuming no nitrifying bacteria anyone have any recommendations for water change amount and frequency to keep ammonia in check? I read test for ammonia won't work with copper. I have ammonia alert badges but I don't trust them as they failed me before. I have some sponges seeded in my sump but I'm assuming worst case so I have some room for error

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to get everyone out and treat them. Glad I did. ywg and clowns show no signs but the six line and tang are covered in white spots.

Got some pics. They are all in the hospital tank. All still swimming fine. Reading up on fresh water dip now. Will do that then start copper treatment with copper safe.

IMG_6762[1].PNG

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The therapeutic level for coppersafe is 1.5-2.0. You don't want to go over 2.0, I know your pain with the API kit I have trouble reading it too.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The therapeutic level for coppersafe is 1.5-2.0. You don't want to go over 2.0, I know your pain with the API kit I have trouble reading it too.

+1 Although I've actually gone up to 2.5ppm with no noticeable ill effects. It's best to just shoot for what looks close to 2.0 using the API and hold the line there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with velvet. I would try to stay close to 2.o as well. Being a little above hasn't hurt anything in my experience either. I tend to run the copper a tad high in the fish system at work just to make up for all the water that is removed and replaced when bagging fish.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just wanted to say thank you to all for the help and effort writing all those articles and videos. The fresh water dip video gave me the confidence to do it to the tang twice and both times the tang had a great response afterwards. night and day difference after the dip seemed like it felt better after each time. I ended up treating with copper for 5 weeks total and started removing the copper tonight. Everyone made it so please know your efforts saved some fish which I am most grateful for. In addition to the copper I used Furan 2 to treat the potential secondary bacterial infection. That worked well. Can't say thank you enough!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just wanted to say thank you to all for the help and effort writing all those articles and videos. The fresh water dip video gave me the confidence to do it to the tang twice and both times the tang had a great response afterwards. night and day difference after the dip seemed like it felt better after each time. I ended up treating with copper for 5 weeks total and started removing the copper tonight. Everyone made it so please know your efforts saved some fish which I am most grateful for. In addition to the copper I used Furan 2 to treat the potential secondary bacterial infection. That worked well. Can't say thank you enough!

that's great to hear! Thanks for updating us.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, it's really great to see updates like this!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back