Whitespot

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these white spots on my tang this evening, it is on both body and fins, no other fish affected in tank, I suspect it is white spot and wonder what is best treatment, tank is FOWLR, I would sooner treat the whole tank rather than Quarantine 1 fish, tank has 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 conch snail.

Screenshot_20240313_205829_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20240313_205730.mp4
    12.1 MB

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks somewhat like ich, but don't take my word for it.

If you have a cleaner shrimp in the tank, you shouldn't treat the entire tank, or you can take the cleaner shrimp out.

A #fishmedic will help you out soon.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the shape is somewhat odd for Ich - though within the realm. Was the fish quarantined? With Ich, you will see spots come and go. With for example lymphocystis - the spots stay stable.

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a QT tank, fish was added 4 days ago, acclimatised slowly and stress free as possible

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. This is atypical for both Ich and lymphocystis to a degree - but part of that depends on whether you treated the fish appropriately in QT - and the health./spots etc on your other fish - how long have you had this fish compared to the rest

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not have a QT tank, fish was added 4 days ago, acclimatised slowly and stress free as possible
AH - ok - I just added that question to my post. Does your LFS do a QT with medication? If not - I would assume that your fish (this one and the rest) - should be treated in a separate quarantine with copper - followed by prazipro (per the protocol in the stickies). There are some remedies available - allowing for treatment in the display tank (like Ruby Rally pro) - with no invertebrates, a hypo salinity protocol could be used - if its decided its Ich (velvet seems to do better In hypo salinity)

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my LFS is very reputable in the area, every fish gets QT before sale for as long as needed, i have become very friendly with them, as for treatment I would sooner treat the whole tank rather than buy another tank and further stress the affected fish as I assume it is probably stress that has caused the issue, I have monitored the tank and there is no signs of aggression or bullying, I will continue to monitor in case this is the underlying issue of stress

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noticed these white spots on my tang this evening, it is on both body and fins, no other fish affected in tank, I suspect it is white spot and wonder what is best treatment, tank is FOWLR, I would sooner treat the whole tank rather than Quarantine 1 fish, tank has 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 conch snail.

Screenshot_20240313_205829_Gallery.jpg
This is indeed ich based on size and location and fish will need to be treated and quarantined. The other fish in with it will likely have contracted it. If you wish to keep an eye on them, do so daily but get the tang started with either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if you saw my last post - I might look at it - and awesome - that the LFS can help, etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is indeed ich based on size and location and fish will need to be treated and quarantined. The other fish in with it will likely have contracted it. If you wish to keep an eye on them, do so daily but get the tang started with either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I believe the OP said he did not have a quarantine tank. There are a couple options - treat all of your fish with the protocol (listed in stickies above), or use a method (ONLY IF there are no invertebrates) - in the display tank. You could try an hypo salinity protocol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe the OP said he did not have a quarantine tank. There are a couple options - treat all of your fish with the protocol (listed in stickies above), or use a method (ONLY IF there are no invertebrates) - in the display tank. You could try an hypo salinity protocol.
Yes and I am encouraging one.

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a QT Tank with a heater and a internal filter, can I use some of the existing aquarium water to start the tank off, or would I need to cycle the tank, or can I just use some fresh mixed salt water, basically what's the best method of setting a QT tank up for pretty much immediate use

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a QT Tank with a heater and a internal filter, can I use some of the existing aquarium water to start the tank off, or would I need to cycle the tank, or can I just use some fresh mixed salt water, basically what's the best method of setting a QT tank up for pretty much immediate use
A piece of live rock from your tank should do it, just make sure to do proper water changes and maintain good water conditions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is ich - the spots on the fins help rule out some similar issues. The fish is also a bit thin. You’ll have to move the snail and any other invertebrates out, but your tank would then be able to run at hyposalinity:

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be buying a QT tank tomorrow, can the inverts stay in the main tank or would these still be a host for the parasite, or can the inverts also be put in the QT tank and be treated with copper aswell, I'm still new to saltwater

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The treatment needs to be for all of the fish in the tank. That would mean invertebrates should be removed - because they do not tolerate hypo salinity well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be buying a QT tank tomorrow, can the inverts stay in the main tank or would these still be a host for the parasite, or can the inverts also be put in the QT tank and be treated with copper aswell, I'm still new to saltwater
FOWLR, by definition means fish only. If you have invertebrates in there it is a mixed display. You may be better off moving the inverts to an isolation tank (assuming no delicate ones) and holding them there for 60 days and then running hypo in your main tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back