OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The treatment needs to be for all of the fish in the tank. That would mean invertebrates should be removed - because they do not tolerate hypo salinity well.
I will be going to buy a tank tomorrow and setting up as quarantine/hospital, so if I move all fish to QT and do copper treatment can the inverts go in the QT aswell or do they not tolerate the copper, sorry if I'm not clear

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I buy a QT Tank with a heater and a internal filter, can I use some of the existing aquarium water to start the tank off, or would I need to cycle the tank, or can I just use some fresh mixed salt water, basically what's the best method of setting a QT tank up for pretty much immediate use
NO live rock in a quarantine tank which will absorb some of the medication and use fresh mixed water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will be going to buy a tank tomorrow and setting up as quarantine/hospital, so if I move all fish to QT and do copper treatment can the inverts go in the QT aswell or do they not tolerate the copper, sorry if I'm not clear
Use 2.2-2.3 as a safe range as many fish tolerate coppersafe better than others. Place fish ONLY in quarantine. Coral and inverts will remain in display tank for 6-8 weeks without any fish which will allow any parasites to die off without a hose fish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inverts do not tolerate copper - they also don't need to be treated. You leave your tank fallow for 60 days or so depending on the source (with the inverts). Fish go into treatment tank, Inverts stay in main tank - if I'm understanding what you're asking. After 60 or so days - the fish go back in the display (after treatment)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree avoid live rock in a QT/hospital tank. Often a sponge filter (with air stone) - and bottled bacteria will be enough - of course during this time - frequent testing - Ammonia, etc should be done. The sponge filter will provide some oxygenation - but - the more the better (within reason)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back