Fish Sinking, Swimming Sporatically, Heavily breathing

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what the title says. Left for walmart for an hour and came back. Swimming upside down, darting into liverock and dang near dead. Water was cloudy yesterday with white long slimey stuff from canister. Did 40% water change and everything was fine last night and this morning. Go out to buy stuff and come back and found this. Protein skimmer is haywire - foam took the lid right off and all over the place.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check ammonia. How old is the tank?
Sounding like a bacterial bloom. Is the canister the only filtration on the tank>

OP
OP
mr_noodles

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check ammonia. How old is the tank?
Sounding like a bacterial bloom. Is the canister the only filtration on the tank>

Did water tests last night after the issue. All within param - Phosphates were between 1-2. Did water change and it was around 0.5

Canister and protein skimmer and power head

got one fish remaining. he's about to go. looks like a 100% kill-off. this sucks

OP
OP
mr_noodles

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did water tests last night after the issue. All within param - Phosphates were between 1-2. Did water change and it was around 0.5

got one fish remaining. he's about to go. looks like a 100% kill-off. this sucks
tank is about 1 year old.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the canister filter is the primary source of biological filtration, and has been cleaned recently, there may be an issue with your biological filtration.
This is one of the reasons many a reefer opt for a sump. Yes, I know not everybody has room for or can afford to upgrade their equipment.
The issue with a canister filter, without having LOTS of live rock in the tank and LOTS of flow is, every time you clean out the canister, you are disturbing the biological. Which, sounds like it may be the case here.
There are other things like Brook and Velvet that can and do wipe out a tank quickly..
Have you added any new fish lately?

OP
OP
mr_noodles

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the canister filter is the primary source of biological filtration, and has been cleaned recently, there may be an issue with your biological filtration.
This is one of the reasons many a reefer opt for a sump. Yes, I know not everybody has room for or can afford to upgrade their equipment.
The issue with a canister filter, without having LOTS of live rock in the tank and LOTS of flow is, every time you clean out the canister, you are disturbing the biological. Which, sounds like it may be the case here.
There are other things like Brook and Velvet that can and do wipe out a tank quickly..
Have you added any new fish lately?

No fish for the past 3 months. I did clean the canister yesterday with just a rinse. The only change to the canister was the removal of the seashells on the top media - it was covered in white slime.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say "all within param" can you give us numbers? What may be perceived as within param by you might be way off to another :)

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was removing some (all?) of the bio media. Anything that isn't carbon or something like Purigen will be surface area for biological activity to do what it does.. Specifically break down Ammonia to lesser harmful compounds.
The "white slime" was also bacteria.
Go for some Dr. Tims or something similar to help get things back on track

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amm: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Grav: 1.024
pH: 8.3
Phos: 1ppm
Alk: 12dkH
Temp: 72
What test kits are you using?

The other things that grabbed be a bit were temp.. 72 is a bit chilly.. Not the end of the world, but chilly.
And.. ALK of 12. Not an issue if that is normal for your tank, but... if you were 8 prior to a water change and now 12... That in and of itself can have less than desirable effects

OP
OP
mr_noodles

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using?

The other things that grabbed be a bit were temp.. 72 is a bit chilly.. Not the end of the world, but chilly.
And.. ALK of 12. Not an issue if that is normal for your tank, but... if you were 8 prior to a water change and now 12... That in and of itself can have less than desirable effects
I usually sit around 10-12

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, a 2 point swing in Alkalinity is not insignificant.. Keeping things as stable as possible, whatever the number, goes a long way towards success.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back