Fish stock list for new 160 gallon tank

rishic78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and have been trying to do a lot of research of my fish stocking list. My plan is to build an LPS reef system.

Here is a quick summary of my setup:
- Red Sea 750 G2 (160 gallon DT, 200 with sump)
- Red Sea Reefer Skimmer 900
- Red Sea ReefMat 1200
- Nyos Torq 2.0 Media Reactor

I have already stocked with 2 clownfish, 5 cardinalfish and a cleanup crew (5 Turbo Snails, 5 Hermit crabs, 2 Cleaner Shrimp). I plan to add 15 more snails (Cerith, Trochus, Nassarius), 10 more hermit crabs, 2 Fire Shrimp, 2 Conchs, and 2 Emerald Crabs in the next week.

I'd love to get advice on my proposed fish stock plan...here is the list and the order I am planning to add them (2-4 weeks space in between)

Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
Banggai Cardinal (5)
--------------------
Foxface Rabbitfish
Royal Gramma Basslet
--------------------
Lawnmower Blenny
Midas Blenny
Panamic Barnacle Blenny
--------------------
Wheeler Goby & Pistol Shrimp (2)
--------------------
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Red-lined Wrasse
Pink-Streaked Wrasse
--------------------
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
White Tail Bristletooth Tang

Few questions:
- Is it better to get different kind of Wrasse or instead get them in pairs? It looks like a few of them can be paired up?
- Will these 3 tangs work together, assuming I am able to put them in the tank at the same time and with a similar size?
- Will these Blennies be able to get along with each other?
- Does this order make sense? It seems like Tangs are the most aggressive so that is why I would be putting them in last
- Is this too much bioload, too little, or just right?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 fish of assorted sizes in my 600 gal tank and its perfect.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and have been trying to do a lot of research of my fish stocking list. My plan is to build an LPS reef system.

Here is a quick summary of my setup:
- Red Sea 750 G2 (160 gallon DT, 200 with sump)
- Red Sea Reefer Skimmer 900
- Red Sea ReefMat 1200
- Nyos Torq 2.0 Media Reactor

I have already stocked with 2 clownfish, 5 cardinalfish and a cleanup crew (5 Turbo Snails, 5 Hermit crabs, 2 Cleaner Shrimp). I plan to add 15 more snails (Cerith, Trochus, Nassarius), 10 more hermit crabs, 2 Fire Shrimp, 2 Conchs, and 2 Emerald Crabs in the next week.

I'd love to get advice on my proposed fish stock plan...here is the list and the order I am planning to add them (2-4 weeks space in between)

Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
Banggai Cardinal (5)
--------------------
Foxface Rabbitfish
Royal Gramma Basslet
--------------------
Lawnmower Blenny
Midas Blenny
Panamic Barnacle Blenny
--------------------
Wheeler Goby & Pistol Shrimp (2)
--------------------
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Red-lined Wrasse
Pink-Streaked Wrasse
--------------------
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
White Tail Bristletooth Tang

Few questions:
- Is it better to get different kind of Wrasse or instead get them in pairs? It looks like a few of them can be paired up?
- Will these 3 tangs work together, assuming I am able to put them in the tank at the same time and with a similar size?
- Will these Blennies be able to get along with each other?
- Does this order make sense? It seems like Tangs are the most aggressive so that is why I would be putting them in last
- Is this too much bioload, too little, or just right?
Welcome to the hobby! Your list looks good to me, but blennies are aggressive with other blennies. I think 3 is pushing it for that tank, might be able to do a midas and a lawnmower together. I had a midas and he was so fun. I have a lawnmower now and he is kind of a butt head. Chases my yellow watchmen goby every time he pokes his head out of the hole. Tangs should all be good together, different types work the best. And wrasse are tricky, from what Ice read if you have wrasse you need to look at the kinds and see compatibility from there. Also need to add them all at the same time. I dont have wrasse in my tanks for that reason. Everything else looks good to me!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late to the party on this one but I do have some advice for your stocking. for the wrasses there is a list somewhere on here about various fairy wrasses and which ones can be kept together and their aggression. I do not know much about pairs other than it can be risky as even if you do buy a female and a male the female could eventual turn male and that could cause some conflict. I would also say to remove at least one of the blennies as they don't get along very well. Two may do fine in your size tank but three might be pushing it. Your tangs also look good however I would look more into the blue tang as I know that many people recommend huge tank sizes for them as they do get big, a powder blue might be a good replacement but they are very prone to disease and can be aggressive. Your wrasses will be fine in that size tank and I might even recommend adding one more fairy wrasse as a replacement for the goby. My personal favorite include:
hooded flame wrasse
golden rhomboid wrasse
pintail fairy wrasse
Below is also a photo of fairy wrasse aggression levels and compatibility. If you want multiple fairies I would get ones far away from each other and never ones in the same group. I got the photo from Humble Fishes website just to give credit.
1679526841771.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back