Fish stocking impressions/advice

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 50 gallon cube aquarium with total system volume of about 70 gallons capacity...although the true water volume will be closer to 55 gallons accounting for rock, sand and space in the sump. I would appreciate thoughts on my fish stocking plan.

I have 3 fish right now in a 15 gallon tank that will come down once this new one is cycled and the fish can move; two tank raised clowns (one orange, one black) and a blue-green chromis. I am planning to add one Firefish Goby, one Royal Gramma Basslet, a pair of tank-raised Bangaii Cardinals and one male with two female Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse. I may also consider a Blue Spotted Watchman Goby.

Finally, once established I will add a small Yellow Tang to hang out until too large for the tank.

My tank will have only local Hawaiian soft corals as we are not allowed any stony corals in Hawaii for our aquariums.

From what I have read, the group seems to be diverse enough to be compatible. The need for a cover is recognized. The rock-work has a number of swim-throughs and caves and there will be plenty of sand. And the two gobies and the basslet are distinctly different color and shapes that it seems they should be compatible. I did read one post where established clownfish pair bullied a Firefish Goby, and while not specifically noted it appeared that the Firefish had to be removed or died...not sure.

So any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. As well, it seems to me that the tank will have some good color and interesting shapes but 11 fish, especially with a couple that like to hide out would not look like an area teaming with activity. Any thoughts regarding whether there will be enough to look at in this cube tank (24x24x20) since there won't be too much coral and little vertical growth of what coral I will have.

(I have attached an image of the hardscape although the glare makes it hard to see the details)

IMG_2611.jpg

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be adding sand? If so I love wrasses. So many different colors and very active swimmers. Fairy wrasses are pretty tame so just be careful which wrasse you go with. Some will be aggressive and some will eat your inverts. Also get a couple fish with a purpose. My go to fish are Diamond goby for keeping the sand bed clean and a lawnmower blenny constantly scraping on the rocks helping keep algae at bay. For clown fish depends on what kind you want. Maroon clowns can be super aggressive. Stick with the True percs and you shouldn't have any issues. The only fish I see right now is the Royal Gramma will most likely be aggressive. Another really cool fish is the midas blenny. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
sg88

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be adding sand? If so I love wrasses. So many different colors and very active swimmers. Fairy wrasses are pretty tame so just be careful which wrasse you go with. Some will be aggressive and some will eat your inverts. Also get a couple fish with a purpose. My go to fish are Diamond goby for keeping the sand bed clean and a lawnmower blenny constantly scraping on the rocks helping keep algae at bay. For clown fish depends on what kind you want. Maroon clowns can be super aggressive. Stick with the True percs and you shouldn't have any issues. The only fish I see right now is the Royal Gramma will most likely be aggressive. Another really cool fish is the midas blenny. Hope that helps.
Thanks...yes, I will have sand. So should the Royal Gramma go in last if possible?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do multiples of the same species of flasher wrasse.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any size yellow tang is a bad idea for that size tank. Tangs are grazers and need ample room to swim. Even a small one will require more room than a 50 gallon can provide.

OP
OP
sg88

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do multiples of the same species of flasher wrasse.

Thank you, that is a very interesting article and is contrary to several Wrasse “care” guides that actually suggest a male and several females. I do worry that those “care” guides are coming from sites that sell fish, but they are reputable online sellers and presumably have some substantial knowledge of the field.
Maybe there are members of this community who can weigh in on success with one male and two female flasher wrasse.

OP
OP
sg88

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any size yellow tang is a bad idea for that size tank. Tangs are grazers and need ample room to swim. Even a small one will require more room than a 50 gallon can provide.
I get that and kind of throw in the tang as an afterthought in large part because the are so available and inexpensive (or free) and can easily be returned the ocean by walking to the end of street. It is pretty common for people to keep tangs in small tanks in Hawaii for a limited time.
I guess a related and broader question is whether 50 gallons and a little under 8 cubic feet is a reasonable space for any ocean fish? And, for that matter, is an apartment a reasonable home for a bird dog or a sheparding dog?
But I may well pass on the Tang until I turn my 10’ wall into a tank as my daughter has requested!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back