Fish stocking plans

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to finalize my stocking plans for my tank. Display is a 40 breeder with a 29 gallon sump.

Currently planning:

Ocellaris Clown Pair (already QTd and in the DT)
2-3 Bengaii Cardinals
Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp
Royal Gramma
Mandarin Dragonet
Cleaner Shrimp
Yellow Clown Goby

Anything else I should look into adding? Is this too many fish for my tank? Or will some of these not play nicely with others?

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to finalize my stocking plans for my tank. Display is a 40 breeder with a 29 gallon sump.

Currently planning:

Ocellaris Clown Pair (already QTd and in the DT)
2-3 Bengaii Cardinals
Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp
Royal Gramma
Mandarin Dragonet
Cleaner Shrimp
Yellow Clown Goby

Anything else I should look into adding? Is this too many fish for my tank? Or will some of these not play nicely with others?
A common question is, "is this too many fish for my tank?"

But in reality when you look at your stocking plan and plan for utilitarian live stock ie. graziers/ algae eaters, sand sifters, pesticide eaters etc you realise they all occupy a different areas of the tank (bottom, middle and top open swimmers). Some of them even burrow holes and stay there so you hardly even see them, like your pistol shrimp and goby.

Ultimately, I think it's about the bio load and exporting it, not about how many fish you have. Once you have different species occupying different areas of the tank, the tank wont look crowded and less overall agression between the fish. #reefsquad

I think you can add blennys, wrasses and firefish plus a few others you have the option of.

I recommend you check various species and determine which ones will maintain your tank for you to reduce your workload.

Heres a youtube playlist link covering about 180 different species of fish. Happy watching

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin will be pretty difficult to keep fed in a 40 breeder. If you have a large fuge section in the sump, and you wait about a year until pods are crawling all over your glass, you may have a chance. I wouldn't try it, personally.

OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin will be pretty difficult to keep fed in a 40 breeder. If you have a large fuge section in the sump, and you wait about a year until pods are crawling all over your glass, you may have a chance. I wouldn't try it, personally.
The fuge in my sump is very large, around 8-9 gallons by my estimation, and I have already started building up a population of pods. I plan to continue to seed every other month for at least a year before I even think about getting the mandarin. I want to be sure to have enough for it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back