Fish stocking question 53 gal Max Nano XXL

  • Thread starter Thread starter Talisker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Talisker

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2025
Messages
84
Reaction score
255
Location
North East
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of stocking fish in my RedSea Max Nano XXL. It's 53 gallons. But main display is 45, with 8 gallons in the rear sump. So far I've added in order of stocking over the last month:

2 Mocha Clown fish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Orange spotted Goby
1 Neon Damsel
1 Flame Angelfish

The Royal Gramma is a hider, so is the Goby. The Damsel is quite shy too. So the only cruisers I have using the full space are the Angelfish and the Clowns. I have lots of rock space for fish to hide and " territories" not claimed. Everyone is quite respectful of each other so far. I was wondering if adding 2 Banggai Cardinals and a Six Line Wasse would be to much fish?
 
I think if you've added these fish recently maybe give them a chance to adjust. Typically, both Royal Grammas and Damsels are bold fish that are often out and about.

I would also watch for fish aggression here as the damsel and Clowns are in the same family of fish, and your Royal Gramma can also be aggressive, so you have a potentially aggressive mix of fish.

I hope this helps; good luck!
 
I vote Blue eye Cardinal!!
1755528780138.png
 
Those are purty! Pretty sure the Royal Gramma kicked the bucket 😢, she reappeared for a bit last weekend. But hasnt been seen since, and definitely more organic matter in my water colum this week, with a Nitrate spike. So room for more fish. Would have to pull the rock work apart to know for sure at this popint.
 
I'm in the process of stocking fish in my RedSea Max Nano XXL. It's 53 gallons. But main display is 45, with 8 gallons in the rear sump. So far I've added in order of stocking over the last month:

2 Mocha Clown fish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Orange spotted Goby
1 Neon Damsel
1 Flame Angelfish

The Royal Gramma is a hider, so is the Goby. The Damsel is quite shy too. So the only cruisers I have using the full space are the Angelfish and the Clowns. I have lots of rock space for fish to hide and " territories" not claimed. Everyone is quite respectful of each other so far. I was wondering if adding 2 Banggai Cardinals and a Six Line Wasse would be to much fish?
You should consider a blenny, they are so adorable, have goofy personalities and are just all around great fish!!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new