Fish Stringy Thing

sethgmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just noticed today that both my clowns have this white stringy thing hanging from under them. Was curious to what this is and if its a diet issue or parasite issue. The one on one of my clowns just fell off. I'll add some pictures, thanks! clown2.jpg clown.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK - so how long have you had them

1. after shipping (the fish are often not fed for a couple days) - they have have a stringy poop.
2. I would watch for now - feeding what you normally do.

Various foods also seem to cause this - I would not assume its parasites - did you QT the fish?

OP
OP
sethgmore

sethgmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so how long have you had them

1. after shipping (the fish are often not fed for a couple days) - they have have a stringy poop.
2. I would watch for now - feeding what you normally do.

Various foods also seem to cause this - I would not assume its parasites - did you QT the fish?
I've had one for about three months and the other one I got this week. I feed them mysis and pellets and switch off, should I stick to one? I did qt them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus feces like this can come from a variety of reasons, some deadly and some harmless. Diet issues, bacteria, protozoans and coccidea can all cause this. Can you get some frozen brine shrimp? Try feeding them that for a few days and see if it’s laxative action clears it up.
If the fish aren’t showing any other symptoms, I wouldn’t rush into any treatments just yet.
Jay

OP
OP
sethgmore

sethgmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus feces like this can come from a variety of reasons, some deadly and some harmless. Diet issues, bacteria, protozoans and coccidea can all cause this. Can you get some frozen brine shrimp? Try feeding them that for a few days and see if it’s laxative action clears it up.
If the fish aren’t showing any other symptoms, I wouldn’t rush into any treatments just yet.
Jay
Ok thank you. I'll try the shrimp for the next few days and see if that helps.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back