Fish stuck on power head: a different take

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Tunze stream 3s on a 1/2 second pulse followed by I think 6 seconds off, alternating. Set at 10% min and 35% max. So the vast majority of any given moment the power head is “off” at 10%.

I was watching my 3” pintail swimming around and it swam right up against the powerhead guard, a split second before the pump turned on its half second cycle. When the cycle started I watched it get sucked and pinned to the power head but immediately yanked itself off and swam away.

I’ve always subscribed to the camp of “a healthy fish won’t get stuck on a powerhead”.

while my wrasse didn’t “stay” stuck, it certainly “was” stuck for a brief moment. It was off before I could finish my yell of “oh #%^*” to my wife.

anyways, I know people ask this question a lot. So there ya go. Can a healthy fish get stuck on a powerhead? Yes. Should a healthy fish stay stuck? I think not.

ctsps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my sailfin get stuck for an undetermined amount of time,pulled him off thought he was dead for sure,survived and is thriving,this was months ago

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice it happened a Filefish and Naso tang stuck to the side of MP60. I turned them loose. Dont know what would happen

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my yellow tang stuck to a MP40 one time. I cut the pump off and he swam away. There wasn't anything wrong with him. His flat body just got sucked against the pump.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like something that happens when yore a slab sided fish , perhaps you should stick a sponge or some sort of cage around it it it keeps happening.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back