Fish stuck to glass?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know..silly title, right?

But, hear me out.

Was at Petco to get dog food and went to check out the fish, and saw this. This Citron Goby was on the glass, absolutely still. I couldn't tell if it was breathing and does this somehow, or was it dead and somehow got stuck to the glass

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They perch on things. I have no idea how they do the glass trick but it's really cool. I guess they kinda suction themselves to it. The ones at my LFS do it all the time. It just makes me want to buy one more and more. They're out right now but I'm definitely getting one when they're back in. Haha. What a cool party trick.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if this is interesting but here’s how they do manage to just sit on the glass;

The cupped fins they have allow them to perch on things.
IMG_4482.jpeg

They’re specially adapted to have a suction cup type grasp and just cling onto any hard surface. The Fused Pelvic Fins are definitely one of the most interesting thing about this genus. And it’s actually quite a few other species that have this ability such as the Elacantinus species which helps them to cling onto any fish they’re cleaning. I believe Priolepis species also have this which allows them to hang upside down under dark crevices in caves whilst they “sleep”.

I believe it’s specifically adapted on Gobiodon because they host in Acros and SPS naturally so they’re in rather high flow zones and need to grasp onto surfaces to not get swept away.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky. I went to my petco tonight also, they normally Have a very good selection of fish and inverts at decent prices. Was going to get a cleaner shrimp. And I see this

They told me their aquatics manager left and the current staff has had bad luck with saltwater and they can’t find anyone to hire that knows saltwater. And the store might be deciding to stop saltwater altogether and just carry freshwater fish

Attachments

• 2D39897A-AA3B-4753-B307-82B9A47D8886.jpeg
    2D39897A-AA3B-4753-B307-82B9A47D8886.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 24

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order to buy their live rock (they offered me the small pieces for 10$ and medium pieces for 20$) but I don’t know what exactly happened here and don’t know if it was sickness/disease, or just something simple like maintaining proper parameters…just can’t take the risk

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky. I went to my petco tonight also, they normally Have a very good selection of fish and inverts at decent prices. Was going to get a cleaner shrimp. And I see this

They told me their aquatics manager left and the current staff has had bad luck with saltwater and they can’t find anyone to hire that knows saltwater. And the store might be deciding to stop saltwater altogether and just carry freshwater fish
I have 4 Petcos within a 30 minute drive. They are hit or miss. Regarding prices, they don't seem to be THAT great anymore. That said, I wont buy fish from there anymore. One too many Ich wipeouts for me. I will only buy quarantined fish from now on, and there's one LFS that quarantines and depending on the fish, their prices are not that much over what Petco charges

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Petcos within a 30 minute drive. They are hit or miss. Regarding prices, they don't seem to be THAT great anymore. That said, I wont buy fish from there anymore. One too many Ich wipeouts for me. I will only buy quarantined fish from now on, and there's one LFS that quarantines and depending on the fish, their prices are not that much over what Petco charges

Maybe mine closing the sw fish section is a blessing in disguise. I’ve rolled the dice a few times and never had an issue. Better to quit while I’m ahead

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back