Fish Suggestions for 75g Reef

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the early stages for stocking my 75 gallon and was wondering if there were any suggestions for my stocking with inverts and the rest of my fish. Currently I have:
- 2 misbar caramel clowns
- Royal Gramma
- Yellow Watchman Goby w/ pistol shrimp
- 2 emerald crabs
- 1 serpent sea star
- various hermits and snails

I was looking at adding these fish in the future. Obviously not all of these but these are the ones I'm looking at:
- One or two firefish (Either regular, purple or exquisite)
- 3 Banggai Cardinals or 3 smaller anthias
- Tang: Kole or a small yellow. Planning on upgrading to bigger tank eventually
- 1 or 2 Flasher or Fairy Wrasse
- Coral Beauty Angel
- Jawfish
- Bicolor or Starry Blenny
- Cleaner Shrimp

Any people have any suggestions/criticisms.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinalfish will reduce themselves down to a single fish if they're all the same sex, and a pair if you have two fish of the same sex; I'm unsure about the anthias.

Instead of a kole or yellow tang, have you thought about Tomini tangs? Those are a fair amount more comfortable in a 75 than yellows/koles. A common problem is people saying "oh I'll eventually upgrade the tank," and never doing so. Case in point, my parent's 55 gallon tank, which was supposed to be upgraded to a 180 years ago, but still has a hippo tang in it...

Other than that, most of those fish seem well suited to a 75 to me.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at adding these fish in the future.

- One or two firefish (Either regular, purple or exquisite) - Fine. Safest bet would be 1 instead of 2, and make sure you have a cover on the tank.
- 3 Banggai Cardinals or 3 smaller anthias - 2 male cardinals will fight. Depending on which anthias species, possibly okay.
- Tang: Kole or a small yellow. Planning on upgrading to bigger tank eventually - Any tang in the Ctenochaetus genus, besides chevron, will be fine. They all get the same size. Yellow is pushing it a little, but borderline, and it will be heck on any other laterally compressed fish.
- 1 or 2 Flasher or Fairy Wrasse - Fine, depending on selection. Some get too big or aggressive, and don't mix 2 that are close cousins. Most species should be fine in a 75 gallon.
- Coral Beauty Angel - Fine. Slight coral risk.
- Jawfish - Some are fine. Don't get the temperate water blue spot.
- Bicolor or Starry Blenny - Fine. Sometimes, starry and other 'lawnmower' type blennies and Ctenochaetus (bristle tooth) tangs hate each other
- Cleaner Shrimp - Fine

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what others have already said, a few thoughts:

Anthias- not sure of your level of experience, but these are not easy fish to keep. They need fed at least 3x a day, and get sick very easy. Even under the best circumstances, expect a survival rate of 50% or so when you get them. They are more a moderate difficulty fish (I learned the hard way).

Fairy or flasher wrasse would be an ideal addition for the system you describe. Just be sure you have a tight fitting lid, they are notorious jumpers.

Have you considered zebra barred and/or scissortail dartfish? They are fun little fish that do well in small groups and can have a neat personality once they get over their shyness. (also jumpers)

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of picking up a square tail bristletooth instead of a yellow tang. Would it be best to introduce it last to avoid aggression or should it be fine?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of picking up a square tail bristletooth instead of a yellow tang. Would it be best to introduce it last to avoid aggression or should it be fine?

If possible yes. Many of the other fish you are thinking of can be a little shy, so even if aggression isn't an issue, the size difference might be if the tang is established first.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of picking up a square tail bristletooth instead of a yellow tang. Would it be best to introduce it last to avoid aggression or should it be fine in
If possible yes. Many of the other fish you are thinking of can be a little shy, so even if aggression isn't an issue, the size difference might be if the tang is established first.
Okay just making sure. I was already planning on putting in the firefish, and probably a couple wrasses in next anyway and put the bigger/more aggressive fish in last

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back