Fish Suggestions for a 20 gallon nano

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and Randell assessor are peaceful but like to stay on caves/overhangs. The hawk are listed as semi aggressive and can go after smaller inverts. As much as I like them I will skip them on my tank since I want a candy pistol and really like inverts. For my 4th I'm considering the the tailspot blenny, one of those basslets or the white banded possum.

I bought the Pink wrasse from WWC back in March.
How do you enjoy the pink streaked wrasse? Do you find he is an effective coral pest eater? I am thinking of getting one myself. I would have liked the six line wrasse, but have decided to explore other options due to its territoriality.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you enjoy the pink streaked wrasse? Do you find he is an effective coral pest eater? I am thinking of getting one myself. I would have liked the six line wrasse, but have decided to explore other options due to its territoriality.
I got a pink streaked wrasse myself. I'm not sure if it's an effective coral pest eater but it does look great and is very good with my tank mates. As mentioned I chose it over the six line wrasse because of its aggression later on

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this fish. He spends all day out and about picking at rocks and the back wall. It's cool to watch the way he swims between rocks and position himself before picking at them. I barely see any flat worm now. I had a few of the "good" planaria, not sure if it was the Wrasse or they receded on their own.

I'm thinking about getting a Tanaka Wrasse as my 4th and last fish for the 20.

One thing to note is this fish is extremely peaceful and would be easily bully. I had to move some rocks around as my firefish became territorial and nip on the Wrasse fins. He avoid him now and keep his distance but something to consider.

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this fish. He spends all day out and about picking at rocks and the back wall. It's cool to watch the way he swims between rocks and position himself before picking at them. I barely see any flat worm now. I had a few of the "good" planaria, not sure if it was the Wrasse or they receded on their own.

I'm thinking about getting a Tanaka Wrasse as my 4th and last fish for the 20.

One thing to note is this fish is extremely peaceful and would be easily bully. I had to move some rocks around as my firefish became territorial and nip on the Wrasse fins. He avoid him now and keep his distance but something to consider.
Awesome... sounds like a good fit for my tank. I just hear they are not as commonly available.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, both are very cool fish and will not add much of a bioload at all, and I believe you can add multiple (as long as they're different species such as green and yellow). And Neon, sharknose, or Yellowline cleaner gobies are very cool as well!

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list I put together while researching fish for my 20. I plan to go with 4 and currently have a Purple Firefish and a Pink-Streaked Wrasse. I want to get a yellow watchman goby w/ candy pistol shrimp as my 3rd

Purple Firefish
Pink-Streaked Wrasse or White banded possum wrasse
Yellow Assesor, Randall Assesor, Royal Gamma
Tailspot or Blackline Blenny
Geometric Pygmy hawkfish or Longnose Hawkfish
Dracula, Hector, or Yasha Goby
Sunshine or Vanderbuilt Chromis
A longnose in a 20 gallon?

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering it a few years ago but decided against it. If you like a hawkfish for that size tank I would suggest the geometric which stays smaller. I prefer ornamental inverts more than the hawkish.
Yea I had one in a 50 but he jumped out cuz my dad said oh you don't need to cover that tiny little space.... found him under the couch but it stinks bc I love longnose and I saw the cutest baby and was so tempted but didn't get him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back