Fish Suicide

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pajama cardinal in yesterday that had an injured tailfin. I put him in the tank hoping he would recover over time but then today I woke up to him being eaten by my trachyphyllia coral. Is it safe to pull him out without hurting the coral? Or should I just let the coral eat it?

20210513_114412.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Allow coral to eat it as pulling it out could cause internal injury on coral. Sorry for the loss

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other fish in the tank? That tail issue sounds like a serious medical problem. If you have other fish I might consider removing the carcass if you can.

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other fish in the tank? That tail issue sounds like a serious medical problem. If you have other fish I might consider removing the carcass if you can.
I have a few other fish yeah. What kind of harm could it cause to leave him in there? I don't think the fin injury was anything contagious as far as I could tell. Just the stress from shipping and acclimation combined with the fin might have been too much for the poor guy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few other fish yeah. What kind of harm could it cause to leave him in there? I don't think the fin injury was anything contagious as far as I could tell. Just the stress from shipping and acclimation combined with the fin might have been too much for the poor guy.
Ok. I find new fish do have a huge mortality rate on introduction. I always keep a sharp eye on the survivors for the week following these mortalities to make sure it wasn’t contagious and spreading.

I guess I use the same practice if the new add lives until they all settle in.

Back