Fish swimming nose up

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’ve had a Blue Chromis now for about 3 years. He was the only tank habitant and always parked himself in the corner of the tank with his nose pointing up. He never really swam around just always seemed very scared. I recently acquired some snails and other clean up crew. His attitude didn’t change much. He just hid. Two days ago I introduced two clownfish and I see a bit of a change with him. He is now swimming around with the clown fish occasionally. But he does so with his nose at a 45 degree angle upwards. It’s definitely not a normal swim pattern either. I fed him this morning and he seemed to be trying to get the food but he was missing it. It was very odd. It looks like his stomach is a bit enlarged as well. I was reading about swim bladder and think maybe this could be the issue. I’m not sure how to treat him or if there is anything I can do. Do you all have any advice or is this the beginning of the end for poor Fred?

7CCA1966-B23E-4CDC-AEFE-ABCC9E865F89.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Maybe it’s normal behavior. I’m not used to him swimming. He’s usually very immobile.
My chromis swim all the time like this at night - usually around the overflow box.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Maybe it’s normal behavior. I’m not used to him swimming. He’s usually very immobile.
My clownfish also swim like this at night near the corners of the overflow. I think it’s the spot in the tank that provides the least flow so they don’t have to exert themselves.

OP
OP
T

Theaviator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say, Fred The fish died today. He progressively got worse and stopped moving today. This one sucks. He was my first fish and taught me a lot about keeping fish alive and healthy.
I wish I had even a little bit of a clue as to why he died. The only thing I can think is the clownfish picked on him. But I didn’t see any evidence of that. I may never know.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back