Fish tail fins shredded

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I added 2 clownfish to my tank and an orange spotted goby. I noticed today in the morning one of my clownfish woke up with his tail fin kind of shredded do you think it would be due to the other clownfish nipping at him? Or could it be the flow of the tank is too much and he’s getting banged up on the rock? My goby also found a spot next to the heater and burrowed in the back of the tank and he won’t come out to eat. I’m currently not running any type of wave maker it’s just my filter and skimmer. I have the tidal 55 and a sea clone 100. I’m only running the sea clone until I can purchase a tunze skimmer in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_6204.MOV
    78.7 MB
  • IMG_6206.MOV
    83.5 MB

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not from flow. I have never seen a fish get banged up from flow on rocks unless they were sick already. The ocean is way more turbid/rough then our tanks.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is fins can grow back and the fish can heal on it's own. The bad news is it's most likely from fish aggression which won't stop and the fish will most likely need to be rehomed. Watch them as much as possible. If you don't see anything dangerous happening to the hurt fish simply do nothing and he will be fine.

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish died and now my other clownfish has stringy poop like the one that passed away. Does this mean he is sick he’s eating mysis shrimp and pellets but he eat very little he just looks at the shrimp and eats the smallest pieces

Attachments

• IMG_6255.MOV
    43.9 MB
  • IMG_6255.MOV
    43.9 MB

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish died and now my other clownfish has stringy poop like the one that passed away. Does this mean he is sick he’s eating mysis shrimp and pellets but he eat very little he just looks at the shrimp and eats the smallest pieces
The stringy poop is from the mysis and I believe @vetteguy53081 has said this many times .

there is either disease or aggression in the tank which is the cause of the issues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If the fish had internal issues while food can be one can also be excess mucus in the poop a s well as bulky feces and even constipation .
What foods are you feeding ?

Often with internal issues, fish wont eat, loss of weight and pinched head occurs

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish had internal issues while food can be one can also be excess mucus in the poop a s well as bulky feces and even constipation .

Often with internal issues, fish wont eat, loss of weight and pinched head occurs

San Francisco Bay brand mysis shrimp and new life spectrum ultra red small pellets. He eats the pellets no problem but the mysis shrimp he didn’t want to eat today and he has the poop string stuck on him still

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clownfish i had that died ate the mysis shrimp just fine the he had stringy poop then the next day he died. I have an orange spotted goby and he eats the mysis shrimp as well and he seems fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
San Francisco Bay brand mysis shrimp and new life spectrum ultra red small pellets. He eats the pellets no problem but the mysis shrimp he didn’t want to eat today and he has the poop string stuck on him still
Yeah, likely mucus in the poop

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%

Back