Fish to go with clownfish and first corals?

mwm5461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I've had my 14 gallon Nuvo stocked for a month or so with 2 clowns a cleaner shrimp and various snails and hermits. All my water parameters are in check and things look great (with the exception of some slight clown on clown aggression although it hasn't been too intense and seems to be pairing from what I've read). Since everything is going well and my understanding is a 14 gallon system can handle 3 fish is there anything else that would go well with the clowns and what I have stocked? I appreciate any suggestions.

Also I was planning on getting some corals this weekend. Could I get both corals and my third fish at the same time? How many corals should I get as my first additions? Lastly, I've done a bunch of research but I appreciate any coral recommendations as well. I have the hydor koralia power head nano, wave point blade 9 inch Led, and the stock pump which I believe is 211g/hr. Thanks!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a goby . Corals have very little bio load to add to the tank so your okay to add them both at the same time . Have you looked into soft or lps coral? I would recommend hammer , frogspawn, gsp (isolate on its on island) .

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first was a torch coral and now i have three! Might could look into a firefish! I have two in my tank with my pair of clowns!
Zoas are nice, leather corals, palyzoa corals too

OP
OP
mwm5461

mwm5461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at firefish. What types of gobies do you recommend?

I think I definitely want both LPS and soft corals in my tank as long as you all think my lighting and flow will be enough. So far I've had my eyes on blasto, Torch coral, hammer coral, zoas, elegance, Duncan, and some others. I do feel like I've been having trouble finding corals that need middle to high placement in the tank that wont grow like weeds. I have one main rock and a couple small ones to isolate some corals which would require bottom tank placement (tank in the picture).

20181015_191638.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at firefish. What types of gobies do you recommend?

I think I definitely want both LPS and soft corals in my tank as long as you all think my lighting and flow will be enough. So far I've had my eyes on blasto, Torch coral, hammer coral, zoas, elegance, Duncan, and some others. I do feel like I've been having trouble finding corals that need middle to high placement in the tank that wont grow like weeds. I have one main rock and a couple small ones to isolate some corals which would require bottom tank placement (tank in the picture).

20181015_191638.jpg
Fire fish are also in the goby family but I like the shrimp and goby pair .
What type of lighting do you have ?
What is your Powerhead GPH ?

OP
OP
mwm5461

mwm5461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding from what I've read is that pistol shrimp pair with the yellow watchman goby. Is that the pair you're referring to? I assume my cleaner shrimp I currently have in the tank will not pair with a goby. Am I good on bioload if I get both a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby? The firefish also seem like pretty cool fish.

I currently have the wave point 9 inch led (https://www.marinedepot.com/Wave_Po...WavePoint_Technology-ZP01407-FILTFILD-vi.html) and the hydor koralia nano powerhead 240 gph (https://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_K...m_Powerheads-Hydor_USA-HD00715-FIPHFF-vi.html)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding from what I've read is that pistol shrimp pair with the yellow watchman goby. Is that the pair you're referring to? I assume my cleaner shrimp I currently have in the tank will not pair with a goby. Am I good on bioload if I get both a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby? The firefish also seem like pretty cool fish.

I currently have the wave point 9 inch led (https://www.marinedepot.com/Wave_Po...WavePoint_Technology-ZP01407-FILTFILD-vi.html) and the hydor koralia nano powerhead 240 gph (https://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_K...m_Powerheads-Hydor_USA-HD00715-FIPHFF-vi.html)
Your light seems good for lps and softies.
As for the goby and shrimp pair , I wouldn’t do it because you may have problems with the pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp.
If you do go with firefish make sure you have a lid .

OP
OP
mwm5461

mwm5461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light seems good for lps and softies.
As for the goby and shrimp pair , I wouldn’t do it because you may have problems with the pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp.
If you do go with firefish make sure you have a lid .

Okay good news with the lighting. I have a screen top with some space open in the back so I have room for my equipment (shown in picture) Would a yellow watchman goby still be cool without the pistol shrimp? Is there any other suggestions other than that and the firefish? Thanks!

15398821980438033855384723955463.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good news with the lighting. I have a screen top with some space open in the back so I have room for my equipment (shown in picture) Would a yellow watchman goby still be cool without the pistol shrimp? Is there any other suggestions other than that and the firefish? Thanks!

15398821980438033855384723955463.jpg
The watchman goby doesn’t need a shrimp. The only thing I can suggest in your tank is fishes in the goby family. You can also look on live aquaria. Hopefully someone else chimes in with suggestions.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I like for a tank that small are a tailspot blenny, firefish, yellow clown goby or other gobies. I have a 10g with 1 clown and 1 yellow clown. They get along great.
A04DDE11-136A-4A79-9785-F7865D1DD211.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a small goby over a firefish in a tank that small with established clowns, because a firefish is more likely to be targeted by territorial, established clowns. A rainsford, neon goby or a bottom dwelling goby (ie Yellow) would all be good choices IMHO.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a small goby over a firefish in a tank that small with established clowns, because a firefish is more likely to be targeted by territorial, established clowns. A rainsford, neon goby or a bottom dwelling goby (ie Yellow) would all be good choices IMHO.
Good point on the fire fish. They do best when added first and with peaceful tankmates.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Stay away from firefish for now, they are skidish and easy targets for clowns to get aggressive towards.

I am pretty sure you will enjoy a Blenny in your tank. Tailspots are my fav - great personality once they get comfortable and they will utilize your rock work.

Gobies such as yellow watchman, yellow clown Goby or other small gobies are great too.

I noticed somebody mentioned something about Pistol Shrimp not being compatible with cleaner shrimp. Absolutely not true - many reefers have had success with both in nano tanks. However Cleaner Shrimps are curious and can be annoying, so unless it stays away right from the bat, you may hear some clicking from PS if it gets too close.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Stay away from firefish for now, they are skidish and easy targets for clowns to get aggressive towards.

I am pretty sure you will enjoy a Blenny in your tank. Tailspots are my fav - great personality once they get comfortable and they will utilize your rock work.

Gobies such as yellow watchman, yellow clown Goby or other small gobies are great too.

I noticed somebody mentioned something about Pistol Shrimp not being compatible with cleaner shrimp. Absolutely not true - many reefers have had success with both in nano tanks. However Cleaner Shrimps are curious and can be annoying, so unless it stays away right from the bat, you may hear some clicking from PS if it gets too close.
Keep in mind every fish/invert is different. I said you may run into problems. Never said there not compatible.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I like my Hectors goby. Similar to the rainfords goby in size, also sifts sand & maybe I got lucky but my Hectors also picks at GHA.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room to add a small barnacle cluster to your scape, barnacle blennies are a hoot! I particularly like the Panamic barnacle blenny but I also have an Eyebrow Barnacle blenny in my big tank.

These are the Eyebrow's

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tailspot Blenny. Useless, but so fun to watch. A ton of attitude.

OP
OP
mwm5461

mwm5461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the insight. I think I'm definitely between the tailspot blenny, rainford's goby, and yellow watchman goby at this point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back