Fish Vendor Question

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happen to be in a bad area for our hobby. Closest and best saltwater store within an hour drive is petco. It's actually pretty good but they have limited stock.
I gotcha, that's tough!!! Sorry about your foxface....are you going to place another order?

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great!!! Let us know how this one does! Have you decided how you are going to acclimate him?

I'll put the fish through TTM. When that runs it's course Ill place him into the observation tank. Just currently debating on running this fish through safety stop prior to TTM though.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. With Divers Den they list SG @ 1.025.
Fish should arrive soon so prepping salt. Should I go with the 1.025 expecting it to be in fact arriving with the same?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orders through them have always been fairly close to that. I think the lowest I have ever gotten was 1.023.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tough to stay in business and offer truly fully QT'd and vetted fish with a warranty. I do it, but only offer the service to my private clients who have ongoing tank maintenance accounts. It saves me money in the long run by having as near zero fish losses in client tanks as possible which leads to less nonscheduled service requests and a very robust referral network from satisfied customers who see the difference. Now, do I make money on the fish sales themselves? No. I pretty much break even when factoring in how much loss I deal with and labor is put into each fish. I charge a higher than standard retail price, but its barely enough to cover my associated fish QT overhead.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tough to stay in business and offer truly fully QT'd and vetted fish with a warranty. I do it, but only offer the service to my private clients who have ongoing tank maintenance accounts. It saves me money in the long run by having as near zero fish losses in client tanks as possible which leads to less nonscheduled service requests and a very robust referral network from satisfied customers who see the difference. Now, do I make money on the fish sales themselves? No. I pretty much break even when factoring in how much loss I deal with and labor is put into each fish. I charge a higher than standard retail price, but its barely enough to cover my associated fish QT overhead.
Wow....I wish you lived by me!

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your fish yet?
Fish arrived almost an hour ago. Ups took their time but not a big deal. The ups driver's handling of the box is another story. To summarize I ran to him to save my fish.

Well I have to laugh. I made 1 system 1.023 and 1 system 1.025. Fish came in with 1.026.

Currently running the fish through safety stop.

I must thank divers den . This was without a doubt the best packed aquatic item I have ever received. The water did have ammonia built up but I expected that. However that brought about a question. If you ship a fish and it pops the shipping bag would that cause a detrimental build up of ammonia in shipping? I ask because the foxface that died did indeed pop the bags and lots of water had leaked out. Thoughts?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish arrived almost an hour ago. Ups took their time but not a big deal. The ups driver's handling of the box is another story. To summarize I ran to him to save my fish.

Well I have to laugh. I made 1 system 1.023 and 1 system 1.025. Fish came in with 1.026.

I must thank divers den . This was without a doubt the best packed aquatic item I have ever received. The water did have ammonia built up but I expected that. However that brought about a question. If you ship a fish and it pops the shipping bag would that cause a detrimental build up of ammonia in shipping? I ask because the foxface that died did indeed pop the bags and lots of water had leaked out. Thoughts?

I think the CO2 would have to completely off gas meaning all layers were punctured, and I think at that point you have to start worrying about the fish being out of water. So either way he probably didn't stand a chance.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you got your fish....keep us posted on the progress!!! [emoji16]

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)
I think the CO2 would have to completely off gas meaning all layers were punctured, and I think at that point you have to start worrying about the fish being out of water. So either way he probably didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately all bags on the first foxface where punctured. Still had water but a lot had leaked out.

Glad you got your fish....keep us posted on the progress!!! [emoji16]

I'm excited! Made it through the safety stop I didn't notice any crazy stress . I watched the entire time:)

I'll do everything I can for this guy to succeed

IMG_20180707_1437562.jpg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back