need a new ATO, just not excited about anything...

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the avast for the larger tank. the pump is quite load but it pulls water up from the basement no problem. but they stopped making that one.
so I would need some high volume doser pump? got nay ideas?
You can use any pump you want with an avast…

Last edited:

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the avast for the larger tank. the pump is quite load but it pulls water up from the basement no problem. but they stopped making that one.
so I would need some high volume doser pump? got nay ideas?
I think its more about the type of pump in this case. A peristaltic pump can handle large vertical heads because of their mechanism of action. In fact they are not really rated by head pressure, but rather a “suction lift limit” applied downstream of the pump. As long as you put the pump near the water reservoir even a small dosing pump can push the water upstairs no problem. A submersible pump like we commonly use for other applications is going to be impractical due to the high head pressure and small volume. You would end up needing a massively over sized pump for the water volume you want to move.

There are many options out there if you search for “peristaltic pump”. You don’t need any of the programming features that come with auto dosing pumps, so they can be found as cheap as $25-$30.

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just met a guy who used a plastic storage tub, skinny tubing and gravity as the ATO for his 500G tank... Made me wonder if I'm not overthinking the issue.
Yup this.
Majority of ppl just like to make things more complicated then needed and think more money is better lol

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup this.
Majority of ppl just like to make things more complicated then needed and think more money is better lol
When I got my first 50G setup, I had no idea when this Tupperware bottle with the tiny tubing coming out the bottom was for. Then summer came and I figured maybe it would hold melting ice to be a chiller...

Then I finally realized the tank lost about 1G every couple days... That Tupperware was about 1G...

Ohhhhhhhhh

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the same volume avasts peristaltic pump had. I believe. It’s a great pump. It’s what I use.

If you use a hydros why not the hydros doser? https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/h...JcPGxw0hj2LE-YmoaBaHOe6-Mg70SatEaAs9QEALw_wcB
I am having issues with my hydros and connectivity I dont full trust it yet. prob. my fault but i dont think my collective is set up right.
all that said I might try it.
just was thinking nnot to put all my eggs in once basket so to speak. but lots of PPL on the FB hydros page use it for years now.
sooo it's on the list for sure.

totally forgot about that doser from BRS.

The Tunze osmolator 5017 is an excellent product. It’s the only one i will buy.
will not work for my desired application. I would love to pull the RODI up from the basement.
that is the ideal situation.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am having issues with my hydros and connectivity I dont full trust it yet. prob. my fault but i dont think my collective is set up right.
all that said I might try it.
just was thinking nnot to put all my eggs in once basket so to speak. but lots of PPL on the FB hydros page use it for years now.
sooo it's on the list for sure.

totally forgot about that doser from BRS.

will not work for my desired application. I would love to pull the RODI up from the basement.
that is the ideal situation.

Is you collective wired A,B, C with command bus terminators on each end? Or is it A, C, B and no terminators? You have to do it A,B, C and 2 terminators. If you don’t have C you can get away with 1 terminator. But for $5 you might as well use 2.

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 3155 is the older model. The 3 is not getting rave reviews. I may get an old new stock 3155 as these are the holy grail from my experience. Pump is a little loud but otherwise perfect.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 3155 is the older model. The 3 is not getting rave reviews. I may get an old new stock 3155 as these are the holy grail from my experience. Pump is a little loud but otherwise perfect.
I've been okay with it. My tank is at the end of my bed. I hear it go off but it's not really loud unless it's sucking air.
I just have it in a 5gal bucket under that cabinet too.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a RS tank, have you considered the Red Sea ATO+? I have used one on my temperate tank since before they were officially released. Works great. The only issue I have with it is I can't set the temperature low enough for my cold water tank. It reads the temperature fine, it is just the alarm function for temperature I can not use.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a RS tank, have you considered the Red Sea ATO+? I have used one on my temperate tank since before they were officially released. Works great. The only issue I have with it is I can't set the temperature low enough for my cold water tank. It reads the temperature fine, it is just the alarm function for temperature I can not use.
yes I did think about that one. I would prefer a solution to pull RODI up from the basement 1st then I can look at normal ATO.
I have a 10 gal tank with lid behind the couch but would like to pull from my 50 gal res. in the basement if I can find a solution that we trust and not A ton of money.

I am guessing a evap. around 3/4 to 1 gal a gal. so it has to be pretty robust.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back