Fish Wishlist - First Tank 72 gal Bowfront

MNoutdoorAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Happy Thanksgiving! I’m putting together a list of fish together that I eventually want to have in my tank. I am a beginner who is trying to be as well-researched as possible. I am running a 72 gal bowfront w/ a 20 gal sump/fuge containing caeto and a skimmer. My goals for the fish in my tanks is a combo of those that are aesthetically pleasing and also have a use/purpose in the tank.

I have two main questions regarding my list of fish that I would like answered, and also any other thoughts and comments are welcome.

1- Is the quantity of fish on my list appropriate for a reef tank?
2- Are the types of fish on my list appropriate to have in one tank together and with corals?

Wishlist:
2 Chromis
2 oscillaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
2 engineer gobys (my aquascaping is prepped for these)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 yellow or purple tang
1 or 2 purple firefish
1 lawnmower blenny

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of fish a tank can support is dependent on two factors. Biofilter capacity and fish behaivor. The biofilter is adequate as long as you can process waste (keep nitrates and phosphates in check). As long as the fish are getting along and not stressed your boiload is fine.

Some thoughts. Your overall number should be fine as long as you add them slowly but I see potential problems.

Sixline wrasse get quite aggressive.

Green chromis often kill each other off until there is one left.

Firefish wont tolerate conspecifics, unless they are a mated pair.

I would not keep a purple or yellow tang in a 75.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MNoutdoorAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of fish a tank can support is dependent on two factors. Biofilter capacity and fish behaivor. The biofilter is adequate as long as you can process waste (keep nitrates and phosphates in check). As long as the fish are getting along and not stressed your boiload is fine.

Some thoughts. Your overall number should be fine as long as you add them slowly but I see potential problems.

Sixline wrasse get quite aggressive.

Green chromis often kill each other off until there is one left.

Firefish wont tolerate conspecifics, unless they are a mated pair.

I would not keep a purple or yellow tang in a 75.

Good luck!

Wow, thank you for the advice. I knew that the six line wrasse, so I was feeling unsure about that one already. I have read that a mccoskers flash wrasse is a good alternative?

I had no idea chromis were so aggressive. I thought they enjoyed schooling together and such. It was my understanding that they were a good, friendly alternative to damsels. But I will definitely do more research on them.

I did not know that about the firefish either.

So the tank is just too small for a yellow or purple tang to be healthy and thrive through adulthood? Can you think of a good alternative? Looking for a large bodied fish that likes to adventure around the tank eating algae and being visible in a similar way that tangs do.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang would probably work better. Zebrasomas just get too aggressive in that sized tank, IMO.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have luck with chromis, most do not. They also usually carry uronema.

No fish really school in aquariums. Fusilier damsels are the closest to schooling and I think they are awesome! Zebra barred or scissortail dartfish are social as well. Some cardinals are said to stick together, but I think they are boring so I havent kept them.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
M

MNoutdoorAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you everyone for your input so far, how about:

2 oscillaris clowns
1 mccosckers flasher wrasse
1 kole tang
2 engineer gobys
1 lawnmower bleny
1 yellow watchman goby

And this will give me room for an additional fish or two that really catches my eye that I randomly stumble upon. Is a 75g too small for a one spot foxface? Can you really not trust the care recommendations that online stores give you regarding a specific fish?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

No, you can never totally trust someone who is trying to sell you something. Also, tank size requirements are not absolute. I am sure you will find people that say a yellow tang would be fine in your tank. It is subjective.

One spot might work. Its borderline IMO. They grow fast and can be a little weird but they are peaceful and calm. I had one in a 4ft120 for years and he was fine. When I upgraded I noticed he became much more relaxed. That suggests to me the4fttank was a bit cramped for him.

I would stumble on more flasher wrasses or smaller fairiy wrasses. Small halicheores like biocellatus or chrysus would be nice as well.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back