Fish wont eat live blackworms

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever have a hard time getting your fish to eat live food? I started a culture of live blackworms and my fish show zero interest in eating them. I have a Potters angel, a purple tang, 2 carberryi anthias and a starry blenny. Is there something I need to do to get them to eat it? They have always taken frozen food no problem

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could mix the live worms with the normal food you feed, as soon as they figure out it is food they will go bananas for it.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms being a freshwater animal, are new to marine fish. It may take a little time to get them to figure it out, but once they do, they will be insatiable.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My smaller fish weren't able to eat the live blackworms due to size but anything that was able to did so ferociously.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and throw some in with their food next time. But my anthias even ate one and spit it back out immediately.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and throw some in with their food next time. But my anthias even ate one and spit it back out immediately.

You want to make sure the black worms are washed after you remove them from their grow out area. You could also soak them in food additives like garlic.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in a net then use a syringe to run about 10ml of tank water over them in the sink then throw them it.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to try soaking them in fresh water an hour or two before feeding. The fish might be getting some dirt from their grow out area.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dirt, just gravel and marimo moss balls and about 2oz of worms

20190107_143322.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own food and the fish hardly touched it the first time feeding them. Second night I thought they we paranas. They destroyed it. I agree throw some in with original food add garlic. If it's frozen thaw it and let the black worms sit in with tht thawed food for a bit.

U

User1

View Badges
I know there seems to be a trend in feeding worms but as noted above it isn't really their natural diet or source of food. It doesn't mean they, the fish, won't eat it eventually just means you may have to teach them. Some fish strike at anything that moves but other times not. A couple fish you mentioned I wouldn't expect to reach out to the worms being the blenny and tang. However the others I would see a strong possibility of attempting.

Personally like already suggested I would mix in with other food(s) such has frozen brine or mysis shrimp if they are eating it. Also dose with Selcon if anything is needed. I avoid Garlic for similar reason being it isn't terrestrial. Another option would be to buy some clams from the butcher/meat department of your local grocery story and mix that in with the worms. This way they get a natural smell and mix and possibly strike at the worms that way.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I mixed up some selcon, mysis, brine, and chopped krill then threw some worms in the mix and the anthias, the tang and blenny ate them. Just the angel left but I'm sure he will be eating them tomorrow at the next feeding. I'll just do the same thing again. Thanks everyone for the tips and feedback! It proved to be effective immediately!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back