Fish won't let Cleaner Shrimp clean

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2018
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
5,691
Location
in front of my computer
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp is pretty new. Had it for 2 weeks, it has already molted once. Seems healthy and happy eating mysis.

It really wants to clean the fish. It reaches out and caresses them with its antennae, but they won't have it. They just swim off. Royal Gramma, Firefish, Yellow Watchman Goby and Possum Wrasse.

I let the shrimp clean my hand from time to time just so he feels OK about himself...

What gives?
 
The fish doesn’t want to be touched by the shrimp. Can’t force the fish
 
Smaller fish I find often don't like it. Larger fish like bigger angels and tangs seem to enjoy it.

My PBT hasn’t allowed my cleaner shrimp to touch him in the year I’ve had the shrimp.
 
My PBT hasn’t allowed my cleaner shrimp to touch him in the year I’ve had the shrimp.

Thats interesting. My dad has a PBT, Purple, Yellow, Hippo, and a sailfin. They all enjoy it. I have a tomini in my tank and he passes by for the occasional check up as well. I suppose some fish just don't care for it.
 
Don't worry about the shrimp being unhappy he can't clean. My fish took some time to get accustomed to him.

Today I watched my cleaner shrimp ride my goby like a horse as he swam around. He also cleans inside the goby's mouth which is really interesting.

It might happen tomorrow, it might happen in a few months, it might never happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new